Paying for door hanger distribution

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by privatelawn, Mar 16, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I put up a ad on craigslist looking for someone to put door hangers door to door for 10 cents per door hanger, do you think 10 cents is ok? too much? too little? They will be done at subdivisions with about 300 houses on each and when I do them myself I do about 150 per hour.

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

sounds reasonable to me...about 15/hr...i'd do it for you if you didn't mind my flyer going out at the same time...lol....

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just as long as you can have some sort of control over it and KNOW that all your flyers PROPERLY. We have heard stories on here about people finding their flyers in dumpsters, garbage cans, and just flat out not being delivered to every house - let alone not being delivered to whole clusters of houses.

4. privatelawn

I will be driving through the subdivisions to make sure they are up before he gets paid, I pretty much work on about a 5 mile radius from my house so that shouldent be a problem.

5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i personally wouldn't hire someone to put out my flyers, mainly i just don't trust anyone to put them out right and the speed at which i want them put out, lol also i'm penny pincher.

as long as your sure the people you hire aren't gonna screw you over, the pay seems fine.

6. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

In a previous life I owned a pizza/sub shop for several years. I never had good luck paying people exclusively for fliers. I might make an employee go hit an apartment on a slow night but every time I hired off the street or just like kids it never worked. I found them in dumpsters, one little punk caused some trouble at a place (made me look bad) people would call pissed off that the stuff was all over their yards....if you had the right person it might work, but i would check up on their work diligintly.

7. privatelawn

Ok so I will make sure he knows I will be driving through all the subdivisions after hes done which I will as I dont have anything better to do... Putting door hangers myself never works as I give up in 2-3 hours of walking and the only way to gain customers is advertising somehow. I did mail postcards which averaged about the same % but postcards are at a 24 cent rate, would gain more for my money with door hangers.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Only don't make sure 1/2 are put in the can

9. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

save your money and do it yourself. you really cant trust how much they really put out. they just might be putting them in the trash instead of passing them out.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I use the US Mail. I booked solid in two weeks.

Next year I am going to limit my mailing list to people over 50 with $ 350K homes