Paying for the professional look only???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by stevenf, Aug 17, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

looking to invest in a few things for this coming season. Went to home depot (there cheaper then the dealers) To get prices on an echo trimmer, echo stick edger, echo blower.
    The trimmers were moderately priced around $200-$260.00. the blowers however were different. I originally looked at backpack blowers. The smallest one echo had was a 25.4cc engine and it was $260.00. Then I looked at the handheld echo blowers. they had one that was 25.4cc engine and was $159.00..............
    Am I looking at something wrong here or is it really that much more just for being a backpack?
    Also, Ryobi has less expensive backpack blowers with the same specs and warranty. Is there company just garbage?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Backpack blowers are generally more powerful, but $250-300 is the base price for them. We never use ours on residential properties because the hand-held is more convenient, but on commercial a backpack is a must.

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

What about Ryobi equipment?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Those blowers don't have no power, my $175 stihl handheld can do as much as one of those $260 backpack blowers, by the way, the Ryobi handheld is $129 not 159 but I'm sure it's just as big a POS. I'm not saying the homeowner's models are bad in the way of quality, but you need to put out upwards of 1,000 cfm's at 200mph or you will be there all day and not even come close to earning $30 an hour, come leaf season anyhow.

The pb-261 is rated 155 MPH, 427 CFM
    My bg-55 with the 65's flat nozzle is rated 174 mph, 430 cfm...
    Same dang thing lol, I can do as much with a commercial handheld than that homeowner's model backpack.
    I use that itty bitty thing for light duty, in the summer time, blow off a few clippings.
    You don't want to get into thick leaves with no weak poof like that, I wouldn't dream of it with any less than 600 cfm's 200 mph.

Purchasing the right equipment is crucial if you even remotely wish to compete, we don't bid by the hour, we bid by the amount of work, the hourly rate is the end result... So, the faster you get done, the more you earn, and vice versa, you'd be surprised what a difference even 5 minutes can make, let alone hours.

You have to study the stuff, the bg-55 is rated Displacement 27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.) with Engine Power .07 kW (.94 bhp) which is the SAME as the bg-65 (both by Stihl). Strangely enough, the 65 costs $200 while the 55 a mere $140, now how come with the same engine specs the 65 puts out so much more (dang near 30mph more velocity, the cfm's are the same)... You look at the two and see the 65 has a flat nozzle while the 55 has a big round opening of a tube, there's the thing: Buy the bg-55 for $140 and pay an extra $10 (maybe it's $15) to order the 65's flat-nozzled tip and you got yourself a bg-65 for $160 or so.

That's how I do things, now for leaves you need to be able to put out 1,000+ cfm's at 200mph or you'll never get them done.
    The stihl br-600 puts out a nice 700cfm at 200, hold the bg-55 in the other hand and between the two nozzles it gets it done.
    Of course, the 600 is dang near $500, you're looking at spending $7-800 on blowers, a push blower is nice to have as well, those run about a grand for a decent one (then again mine also puts out 2,400 cfm's 210 mph, nothing stands in the way of that).

My recommendation is keep working and saving your money, you'll want at least 5 thousand spare cash to get started, no loans.

5. DPAT

DPAT LawnSite Member

i bought a redmax blower for about 350 and it kicks a$$. also i just bought the echo weedeater and stick edger from home depot and got 12 months same as cash just my two cents. that is how i went and bought my stuff

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

buy from the dealer, they will remember you when time comes for service or repair.

a hand held blower will solid wear your arm out.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

^What Marc said...do yourself a favor and build a good relationship with a dealer. Sure, you may save $50 or $100 (probably won't be that much) but you will be grateful when the dealer repairs your machine right away or gives you a loaner because you are a good customer. You sure won't be getting good service from Depot. I shop at one dealer only who I've known 15 years, I believe it is cheaper overall than shopping around.

8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

IN my opinion the Ryobi back pack blower from Home Depot is a POS I had 1 for a short time

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look, if you absolutely have to find out what all the commotion with the cfm/mph is about, Northern Tool has a Homelite backpack blower right now on sale for 99.99 ($100), you want to invest the least money, then get that and I think you'll be fine.

I mean, for $100 it's probably a POS but it's a backpack, can't hardly go wrong there, you can probably resell it for dang near as much should you decide to switch to something better later, either way it don't break you.

10. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

The stuff you find at Depot is cheaper doesn't work near as well and not built to the same tolerances as good commercial equipment and you will be replacing that Depot stuff annually. Do yourself a favor and save up good equipment will last a very long time like 5 to 7 years of everyday use. Its much more powerful meaning you will be done quicker so you can move on to the next job that much quicker. I learned the hard way buying that cheap crap but you will do yourself a favor to buy it from a local dealer. So your educated somewhat now DO IT!