Paying freinds/ use 1099misc form?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Mar 12, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well I thought I would post here and in the buisness forum, My question is I have several freinds all who work full time elsewhere, and help me out from time to time on jobs. This year they all will make over 600.00 but really no one will make over $3000.00 can I just use a 1099misc form on them and let them be responsiable for their own taxes..they do work independent really,..so????

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I ask my accountant the same question. He said that because they are working directly for me and I'm the boss, I can't pay them as an outside contactor.

3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well in a sense yes, but they are kinda like hiring a outside handyman service....but I guess if I need to go threw all the paper bs then..so be it..seems silly for freinds helping out from time to time....I still think the 1099 misc would work.

4. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

My accountant told me if they dictate when they work, then they are independent contractors. Check with your accountant to make sure, but I would think that they qualify as such. It will be a whole lot easier for you.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

that is probably the best way to proceed

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

7. that would be nice if friends can just be paid regularly. but what if somebody gets hurt? you still need a workmans comp policy on them right? cause it is very nice for them to help you out, but what happens if the guy slips or something and has to go to the hospital or whatever.

8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a place once that paid cash and then gave us a 1099. If its not alot of money then i dont see a problem. I made quite a bit of money that year and got nailed on taxes. I believe it was self enployment taxes or something like that. At any rate i got nailed for an extra couple of hundred dollars in taxes.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If they are friends just pay them cash and have your number cruncher bury the expense elsewhere. Some friend if you are going to throw them under the IRS bus.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto Lawnguy...beer(after work), food and some cash keeps my friends happy...they just like working outside from time to time...