Paying Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys lets say that you have a $5,000 dollar landscaping job, what would you pay 2 guys to help you do it if it is going to take you 8 hours. I am thinking an hourly rate, well my best friend is thinking maybe a percentage, so I want yalls opinion, obviously my profit will be $2,500 so do the math from there and let me know some opinions. Thanks

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the bad thing about dealing with best friends, they always want to be part owner and get a percentage of the profit, that is until there is no profit and then they want the hourly. I make it a practice to never deal with friends, and I don't let people know what I am going to make on a job. Offer the prevailing wage, buy lunch, and try and keep from including friends on future jobs.

3. soonerlawns

soonerlawns LawnSite Member

I agree with turf medic...I would pay a hourly fair wage (probably at the top end of the local wage rates). Remember it is your reputation on the line, your trucks and tools being used, your marketing/landscaping expertise that sold the job, etc.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

base it on thier salary at thier full time job. hourly is only for continual employment. say the scmucks make $125 a day at thier job. give them $200 for a suturday, they'll be thrilled. never ever tell what you're charging