paying in cash

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tierralawn, Dec 9, 2003.

1. tierralawn

tierralawn LawnSite Member

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

uhm.. I pay with visa to collect points.. I'll pay for cash when I need to for small purchases and keep the receipt!
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that I use the credit card for is large equipment purchases. Everything else I use checking
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Very very seldom do I ever use cash....mainly use checking and on some occasions use credit card
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Troy, im the same way. But it occured to me that i was wasting my money. My checks cost me to reorder. I go through approximately 3 checks a week strictly for fuel, but i have decided next year it is going to go on a gas rewards credit card. That way, i can cut my check writing to only 1 per month, and expedite the fueling process at the same time (going inside and writing the check takes time). That way, id write about 40 checks a year, instead of 20 a month like this year. At the same time, id get free gas(as if i need anymore, dang that reaks :blush: :) )
  8. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

Every daily purchase and I do mean EVERY purchase is made on credit card. New equipment, if under the limit, would also be purchased on Credit Cards.

My reasoning behind this is, I am 19, I only purchase what I know I will be able to pay off at the end of the month, and so I stay disciplined. All this does is slowly increase my credit score.

Also, Banks charge me for each transaction that goes through my account, once it gets to a certain point. To limit this, I use the Credit Card, and then get ONE (1) check to write. Really simple when balancing the checkbook.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do have to agree with the whole checking charging thing. The bank only allows me to write 50 checks a month, after that they charge me for it. Usually they charge around $3.60 a month on average for going over the 50, for which I was charged about 8 times this year.

To reorder 150 checks it costs me $10.01, which is about every 2 to 3 months that I reorder. I have thought about getting a card for gasoline only, but the only thing that I am worried about is that it will just become another debt that I own.

I could save about probably about $40 to $50 bucks just on checks every year if I cut back. The probably with me though, is that I have a cash issue. When I have cash I seem to spend it more freely, compared to when I write a check, I seem to be more conservative.

That is a good point that you made though
  10. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Why is everyone still writing checks? Has anyone ever heard of a Visa checkcard? I use mine everywhere. I think i've written 2 checks in the last year.