1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

paying referrals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EOS, Jul 9, 2008.

1. EOS

EOS LawnSite Member

I have a landscaper in my area that does high end homes and can get me several homes for lawn care but he would like to talk to me about paying him a referral, looking for everybody's idea on what I should pay him I have never paid a referral before, I was thinking of 10% of the monthly contract.
  2. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

I think it depends on how much business he can get you. It is just like being in a band and paying promoters to be booked with a good show. If the benefit outweighs the cost it is worth it. A landscaper would probably be able to send you alot of business.
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Guy I know hooked me up with a clean up job for $300, then the guy across the street called us for a $175 mulch job.

I gave the guy a 30 pack of Miller Lite.
  4. caterpillarcat

caterpillarcat LawnSite Member

if u do referrals make sure u work out an agreement ahead of time. are u giving commission on one job or for one year or forever? whatever the case just make sure you guys are all on the same page. this will prevent any arguments later on.
  5. EOS

EOS LawnSite Member

i was thinking about 10% of the first year contract only
  6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

a referral is usually like 2-5%, if all they're doing is giving your name. no way i'd give anyone 10% for just saying my name. personally i'd flat rate each job, maybe give him the cost of one cut, one time- maybe.... i'd refer and get referrals all the time, and while others might disagree, i don't give or get money, then again, i'm a what goes around, comes around kind of guy. tell him you'll refer everything his way for the line of work he does.

i hooked up a friend who does sprinklers with 5 of my clients, didn't expect a dime. just not my way.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would ask him if that's what he really wanted. But, before I did that, I would ask what he specializes in. Maybe it's something you don't offer or don't want to do. In that case, why trade dollars? I would network with him and send business his way. I do that with a couple of other lco's in my area. Sure we are each others competition, but there's things they'll do that I don't want to hassle with and vice versa. There's no scorecard, but I make sure I hold up my end of the bargain.