1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paying Salary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Apr 16, 2001.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I'm getting to the point where I have to stay small or grow a little. I have over 100 lawns, and am a full maintance business. I have one full time and one part time workers. Both guys are great workers but aren't good enough to send out on their own. I know a guy who's not happy with his job and I'm going to offer him a job. He can drive anything and is a great mechanic and hard worker.

I'm thinking of offering him salary. The moneys not a problem, but what should I offer. This is what I got so far:

Salary pay X amount per week
    weeks paid vacation- off season
    driver lic. needed

How about holidays, days off, and possibly incentive bonuses

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I give a salary, weekly, so they work hard in summer, but easy in winter, and 3 weeks paid vacation, one of them being the week of Christmas. Everyone loves that, especially us guys that have to start shopping that week lol. And pay for the holidays you take off. I have thought of a bonus, but dont know how to do it right yet. And most jobs require about 10 years with the company for 3 weeks, thats a big one right there, and as long as its in winter shouldnt affect you too much, unless you do snow plowing, i dont, not much snow in florida.
  3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

The Department of Labor has some very strict rules as to paying salary. Very few employees in the green industry would qualify. It appears that Fluctuating Work Week is the only legit way to put a non supervisory employee on salary. Get advice from an attorney that is familiar with labor law to save yourself headaches down the road.

Check out the Department of Labor Web Site @ http://www.dol.gov/dol/public/regs/main.htm
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Watch yourself close when you begin an employee on salary because if you work them over X amount of hours then you still have to pay overtime....This can get you into a pickle if you normally work more than 40hrs per week and then get caught at the end of a season...