Paying your Crew

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by topchoice, Feb 18, 2008.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Okay, I am usually a solo guy but have gotten to the point where I may need to have some helping hands. What does everyone usually charge their customers when a crew of guys is involved- For instance, if I have a 3 person crew including myself and we are working on an hourly landscaping job- and I wanted to make $45 and hour, would you charge the customer a rate of $80 per hour for a 3+ man crew, of which includes the helps hourly rate of ~$15 per hour? These numbers are just hypothetically speaking and are not what I actually use, I just want to know what the rest of you guys do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You actually get hourly jobs ??

3. topchoice

Ya, when it comes to small landscaping jobs- jobs that only take 1/2 a day if that. Bigger jobs I don't use this formula. Doesn't make sense, I know, just asking for opinions. Thanks for yours!

4. topchoice

Better yet, how do you all work pricing for landscape jobs and mulch jobs? What percentage do you usually use on average- the biggest one in my case would be mulch installs. Do you mark-up the mulch at 25% then charge $60 per yard for delivery and installation for smaller jobs and does this price then include any possible help. I have never had to pay others working for me and am unsure how to go about the pricing on jobs- I don't want to screw myself out of money and my employees.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I figure out what my overhead costs, how much profit I am looking to make, add them together and charge the customer that. :hammerhead:

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

For one, $15 an hour for a helper is to much.

7. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post. If you are legally paying a legal employee how is that to much. Most the people here charge $35 per man hour.... 3 Men @ 1 hour = $105 per hour for job.

8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I work by myself now but in the past if the worker are good like me my regular hourly rate for all if i had a new guy training or someone who was just helper quality I cut back. It was around 45 hr and 20 for a helper

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

with employees you need to be charging at least $50per man hour to make a profit.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont get dropping the price for a 2nd or 3rd employee. Why would you do something yourself for 10 hours and charge $100, and if you had help and it took the 2 of you 5 hours only charge $75? The same thing got done with the same tools by the same company. Makes no sence.

The numbers are for illistration purposes only.