Paying your employees in cash???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by spitfire3416, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

But payroll tax (7-8% should be lower than his effective tax rate IF he owns a company that pays a high enough tax bracket. Which he SHOULD be if he's big enough to need help. Example my effective tax rate was 10% on 67,000 this year.

Now, factor in your state income tax.

I'm in TN so I don't know much ab state income tax :)

2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you've ran all the numbers and know all the tax costs to a T

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If he pays anyone over $400.00, he needs to give that person a Form 1099-MISC... Failure to do so results in a fine... and if the IRS determines that you are purposely defrauding the IRS so that your helper doesn't pay taxes of his income, I think they'll make you suffer for that, besides giving your helper a bill for what they believe the back taxes may have been... you can pay in cash, check or MO as long as the 1099 is mailed in January...
    It's called Sub-Contracting and perfectly legal... No Payroll taxes or Comp. required...

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

No it is not. For legit subs it is but not for employees .

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...ndent-Contractor-(Self-Employed)-or-Employee?

5. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I guess you could do like the topless bars and charge the guys a fee to use your equipment and a percent of their tips. :D

These guys are employees and what is being done is against the law.

6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

In the last 8 years I have hired some 17 to 20 employees. I have found that many of them only make it a few days. So about 2 years ago I started paying cash for the 1st 2 weeks. If they make it past that they go on the payroll.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So many guys on here that really need to read up on business 101. Solo is one set of rules, adding even one pt employee changes everything and requires you to learn a whole lot more information.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GravelyWoman

GravelyWoman LawnSite Member

My workmen's comp insurance performs an audit at the end of every year of my employee's and how much I paid out in salaries. Wow, I could not go to sleep at night having such bad business practices in place! He will eventually get caught, one way or another!!! Just not worth the risk to me!

GW

10. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

All cash would be sweeeet thou!