Paying Your Employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmower man1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. lawnmower man1

lawnmower man1 LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm new to the site was wondering if anybody has any insite on how to pay your employee by the hour or by percentage of the job. Thanks for the future help.

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Either hourly or salary.....My foreman is on salary, and my other guys are paid by the hour....$8.35 a hour to start....I am hoping I wont have to move on my starting hourly pay because they have just raised minimal wages to $7.50 I think, or somewhere around there.....I know at least there wont be any changes until 09

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Paying your employes a % of job cost would be a nightmare "for me" anyway. you would have to disclose your job income to your workers, also you still need to conform to your states minimum wage standard per hr. no mater what "you" get paid or you could be in deep with your state's DA office.

4. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

either salary or by the hour

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Hourly is smart until you have a full schedule (and can keep it that way). Then salary is a good options for higher-level personnel.

The current employee market is a lot more interested in benefits and stability than pay. Just thought I'd chime in. You may want to consider health insurance for your employees if you're looking for people to stick around. I know a lot of guys on here will not agree and say to 1099 them and what-not because of the expenses involved, but GOOD workers are worth the expense in productivity and stability.

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We pay our workers by the hour only my wife and I give ourselfs a salery

7. lawnmower man1

lawnmower man1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help!

8. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

Yup I agree, We just got back from the tax man and everything works, we 1099 one year and had problems with employees attitudes, (I ended up paying their taxes anyway) best to be legal and to know your employees will be there in the spring when you need them.

9. Stillwater

you paid their taxes?!! can I come work for you?

10. Stillwater

I forgot to add in my last post if you pay their taxes why in the heck don't you withhold their taxes weekly?