Paying your employees ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Emerald, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Emerald

Emerald LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn maintenance business for 4 years now and over the last 2 years I have needed to have employees. I started out with myself and 1 other man. Last year I had myself, and 6 others and I had been paying them by the hour- 2@ $9.50 4@ $ 10.00. We mow about 150 lawns per week and last year I found myself working sooooooo hard trying to keep everyone working. Once I would get one crew going I would check on another and find them sitting in the truck for about 3 - 5 minutes before and after each job. On rain days I would lose lots of $ because the men would work even slower. I am looking at ways to give my employees some insentives. Would changing to paying by the job ( % of each job) with no hourly wage be better or is there something I am missing? How do you all pay your employees or what kind of insentives do you all use? Thanks, your input will be helpful

God Bless Emerald :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Put a crew leader in charge of each crew and tell them it's their ass on the line if jobs aren't brought in on time and on budget. And give bonus to leader if they are under budget. Should solve problem.

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We aren't that big yet..Im out mowing with the crew 95% of the time. But it sounds like you need that one good crew leader/foreman to take charge. Pay him well...treat him well...and hopefully he'll respect his position and make it worth your while. I'd steer away with not paying by the hour...the paying a percentage of each lawn etc sounds pretty confusing. But ya never know!

4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

but if your mowing 150 lawns a week... that sounds like a pretty big work load to me... if your going to take on that many accts. you need a foreman who you u pay more (roughly $12.00-15.00), running one crew, and yourself running another crew... also... $9.50 and $10.00 an hour are respectable pay rates for regular laborers... get on those guys or else fire them.. guys sitting around and wasting time are a waste to you, there is no reason they cannot find something productive to do... Just remember: there is nothing worse then "babysitting" your employees. :)

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say its time to do some old fashioned Azz Kickin'. Yes, foreman is needed. Also, you need to put your foot down, and if needed, prove you mean business.

6. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

GPS We are going to try it this year. does anybody else use this?