Paying your guys when its slow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVELAWN, Aug 9, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Just wondering who else does this.......My company derives most of its revenue from lawnmowing. Unfortunately we haven't really had much rain the last few weeks. Things are really getting slow. My 2 man mow crew usually does 20+ yards a day, plus my install crew one 1, usually stays quite busy. With the time and season we are getting really slow........from 45hr weeks to like 20-30 as its getting bad here. I have been paying my guys for 32 hr weeks regardless....last week everyone actually only worked 26 hrs...but paid them for 4 full days regardless. Does anyone else up the hours of there employees if its slow. While I am losing money in the short run, i am hoping guys stick with me because of this.....for me to lose a few hundred bucks is not a huge deal, but for them to lose half there check is. Your thoughts?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have any employees, thank god, but i think what you are doing shows that you care about your employees and want to keep them. I can only hope that they realize what a great boss they have from doing this, my 2 cents.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

definitely one of the biggest challenges in this business - keeping good people.... if they are worth it to you and you cannot generate any more work for them, I would say you are making a "business decision" instead of a personal/selfish one...I hope things pick up for you and your guys realize the sacrifice you are making to keep them happy and with your company

4. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

We do something like that. In June we hit a dry spell for mowing crews and our hardscape and install crew were kinda busy. So we allowed anyone who wanted to "Labor" on those crews to run with them or they could do some approved "volunteer work" and get paid for it. Its a sacrifice but I'll tell you what your guys will respect you for what your doing and it will build loyalty from the good ones. One thing to watch though you cant' do it forever and you may have to make the tough call, but they will understand especially after the great thing your doing for them.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

THE biggest challenge...............

If things look like they will pick up, and it is only temporary because of dry weather, then I'd say you're doing it right to keep them around if they are worthy of it.

6. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

They're working 26 hours a week, and you're paying them for 32?

Why don't you have them advertising that 6 hours? Walk around putting up door-hangers.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have done this in previous years during slow/dry summer months. Paying out an extra few hundred a week is worth it too keep good employees. During very dry periods in previous years we have always been able to put in 30 hours a week...... I will ussually pay them for 40 hours anyway. Its when I dont even get a thank you that I question continuing to do that. So far this year, even the slowest weeks have still been 45 hours so it looks like it wont even be a issue this summer.

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am glad someone said it. Do what Mr. Fangs suggest put up door hangers., push aeration right now......

9. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly!! We are slowing down big time so the entire crew will be working al day this Saturday at the shop. Irrigation, mulching, seeding, planting, whatever the heck I need done and maybe even waxing trucks!!!
    Give them hours doing something!!!! Anything!!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Better to push mulching when you are in a drought, sprinkler checks, bush and tree trimming.