Paying your help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 25, 2008.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I am currently a solo and am considering hiring some help. How are you guys paying them? hourly? salary? per lawn? Where is the best place to look for some guys. Newspaper? Employment agence?

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i and most people pay by the hour. as for finding them good luck.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Great to hear your expanding. As far as finding good help....:laugh::laugh::laugh: good luck with that. Just be prepared to be disappointed in a big way. Remember every one looks and sounds great at first. I went through 8 sidewalk guys this winter, paying 20 freakin bucks an hour! using my equipment!! they all (except for one) were terds! I ran an ad in the classified's a week ago and so far I have had 2 decent applicants out of only 10 and so far my mouth is still gragging on the floor, but like I said before, every one looks good at first. I tell all the applicants its hard back breaking work, long hours, actually getting dirty and sweaty. The true test is after spring clean ups, if they stay through all of that work then chances are their good to go. Good luck!
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What nobagger said...

Plan on interviewing at least 10 folks for every 1 that you end up keeping, or I should say that ends up staying or working out for you, however you want to look at it this 10-1 rule works for more than a few I've talked to and was my experience many years ago.

Look at it this way:
    The economy is rough, way things are right now the Golden rule applies:
    He who has the gold, makes the rules.
    That puts the customers in the driver's seat first.
    But it also puts employers in that position.

We lose out against the customer (at least I do) when there's a money and work shortage, but we gain the upper hand on the other side of things, we still win on at least one end lol

And that would be my attitude, at least towards employees, let them know how it is... That's how we did it the last time around, told prospective employees that right now we the owners were in the driver's seat, few are hiring many are firing so if you want a job you gotta walk the line.

Sure would try that tactic, likely work out for you.
  5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, i went through 7 guys the last 2 months of the season last year. They would only last a day or 2. 1 guy did last a week. Already hired and fired my
    1st guy this season. his 1st day he was 10 minutes late, 2nd day 2 hours late, 4th day wanted to go home early 5th day he did not show up at all. 6th day he call around 9:30am and wanted to know what was going on, i told him i am working, he asks what time do i want him there in the morning? I said just pick your check up on friday. He went through this song and dance and i told him he was unreliable, he hung up on me.
    So yeah, that's what to expect. good luck.