Paying Yourself with an LLC

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FineEdgeLawnsMD, Mar 27, 2014.

1. FineEdgeLawnsMD

FineEdgeLawnsMD LawnSite Member

Seeing an accountant Friday but I was wondering first hand how you guys run your LLC's? Since I'm a one man operation, I don't have to worry about paying employees and all but do you smaller business owners pay yourself each week/bi-week, or how do you go about doing it? I guess it depends on what state and the different tax rules and all but this is my first year as an LLC and I was just trying to get an idea so far. Thanks for your input.Thumbs Up

2. Paineless Creations

Paineless Creations LawnSite Member

You can use the owner draw and investments account, when you take money from your bank account and put money in your biz, I always had a linked personal account so I could transfers easy back and forth, as you get bigger and have employees. I have become a S-Corp and I write myself a check every other week with my rest of my employees...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Subscribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Subscribing here too. As a sole proprietor, ive wondered the same thing. I was doing owners draws for myself last year, but was not "paying myself" a regular paycheck on a weekly, biweekly, monthly basis. I simply took money out of the net profit as time went by. Im scheduling to see my accountant soon, and get taxes done, so hopefully I can get some light shed onto the subject.

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Recently did the same thing
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

From what my accountant told me, I take an owners draw. Whatever I want it to be. He said any money set aside (10% a week or whatever you want) should be put into a savings account under my name, not the company.

Not sure if that helps, my accountant was shady as hell and I am looking for a new one.

7. intrigue12

intrigue12 LawnSite Member

The thing with paying yourself by a payroll check that sucks the most IMO is the double tax. Not only do you have to withdraw money from your paycheck but your company than has to pay the payroll tax for paying you. Drives me crazy!!

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Shady accountants are a good thing IMO.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Being solo it won't matter
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AllBrad

AllBrad LawnSite Member

Decide how much you want per year. Divide by 52 or 26. Write yourself a check weekly or every other week. Call it an owners draw. Pay estimated taxes. Settle up at tax time. If you over pay yourself, adjust for the next season. Remember to pay your company. W2s always get paid first.