1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

payload of a F150?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sodgod, Mar 1, 2005.

1. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I am loking to get a F-150 pretty soon. i am looking for a "97" "98" XLT. I was wondering how much it can pull and hold in back? Can i beef up the rear suspention?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have loaded two yards of double-shredded hardwood mulch in the back of my ancient F-150 beast, and my understanding is that each yard weighs in at something like 700 lbs. The last time I did that, though, I was pulling only a little 4-foot trailer.

Beefing up the suspension is a topic I've approached, but it seems that an awful lot of the truck is built with that load in mind. Bearings, brakes and so on are all upgraded in trucks with heavier payload capacities, so there's the risk of burning things out if you beef up the suspension to pull heavier payloads than the original capacity of the truck. I've decided against it.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get an F-250 a few years older especially if this will be the main truck. 1/2 's are not made for every day commercial use it's okay for a parttimer or weekend warrior.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you can find a 250 it will be worthe the extra couple of hundred.

beefier springs, beefier brakes, better steering, thicker stiffer frame, usually has an oil cooler and transmission cooler (if automatic) usually have front and rear stabilizers.

the money you would spend upgrading an old F150 would be much better spent just getting a similar F250 and it would probably end up being cheaper

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree. The F-150 is probably the most widely-used truck for commercial use. I haven't looked it up, but I'm very comfortable with that assertion. The question is whether one is using it within the limitations of the vehicle.

On the other hand, if he can afford a truck with more payload capacity, he should. I'd like to, but it just aint in the budget right now.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The only place an f-150 has commercially is for fert. rigs, sales vehicals, and back ups for when the real trucks break down other than that it is kinda silly to buy one as your main truck unless you pull a 12' footer or less

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I (my dad) have a 97' F-150 XLT ext. cab and you can bottom it out without too much weight but it will still pull it good. The only thing I don't like about this truck are the brakes, they don't stop too good. We once got a pallet of bricks in the back that bottomed it out completely, it still accelerated fine, stoping wasn't that bad but every bump you can feel the stress on the truck. It's a good truck though.

8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

How much are you planning to tow/haul. A F-150 has a 6600 lb towing capacity. I believe a gas F-250 has a 10,000 tow capacity. The diesel can tow a little more. Remember the general rule of thumb is not to tow more than 80% of a vehicles max tow capacity. Going on the 80% rule the f-150 can tow 5280. As for bed capacity, subtract the gross vehicle weight from curb weight and that is how much the truck can haul.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting responses but a lot of the "factual" ones are anything but.

Ford's F-150 payload and tow ratings depend on the engine, auto or manual tranny and rear axle ratio. The rest of the truck from bearings to brakes to transmissions are the same.

For example my 1995 F-150 is equiped with a 5.0 engine, auto transmission and a 3.08 rear axle ratio. My Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is 9,000 pounds. That is the weight of the truck, trailer, anything in the bed of the truck and trailer, fuel and passengers. In other words my entire weight.

Now you take my buddy's F-150 that is almost identical to mine with the exception being that he has a manual transmission. His GCWR is only 6450 pounds. That is a big difference.

You really need to get the truck scaled, look up the truck in the owners manual and subtract the weight of the truck from the GCWR to find out how much weight the trailer can weigh.

Making sure that you do not exceed the limits as set forth by Ford is extremely important. If you are involved in a serious or deadly accident you could be found at fault even if you didn't start the accident. I have seen the police actually haul wrecked trucks and trailers to scales to verify that they were within manufacturers limits.

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

My 95 F150 hauls 2.5 yards of mulch easy. And pulls my trailer that carries my 737 and my new lesco W/B plus the extras. (Sulky and what not) I have the 5.8 351