1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

payment is due at time of service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 12, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

does anyone demand payment at each visit? im gettin sick and tired of sending bills and having that handfull of customers that need to be called, and "reminded", then there are the 2 or 3 that need a visit from bubba's collection agency(and boys, he is big, if u ever need him, he works for half of what he collects) . i know there are late fees, but i dont want late fees, i want to be paid on time. anyone demand payment with each visit? im talking grass cutting, naturally, higher priced things get paid at completion.
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

No, I prefer to bill monthly. All of my customers are long term. This takes less time. Idon't have to visit or wait while they write a check. Don't wash any checks I might have stuck in my pocket. Book keeping is easier for me. I guess I'm lucky I don't have any slow pays.
  3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I used to but, I got sick of keeping up with it everyday and trying to remember all the SECRET hiding spots for the checks etc. So I started everyone on monthly pro-rate billing and love it so far. Got rid of a few slow payers last year and plan to get rid of 2 more this year. I'm going to stick with the monthly billing, I'll just weed out the slow payers one at a time.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got 4 that pay per visit, one leaves check in mailbox, one is only every other week and one is only "on call" occasional. 3 are monthly and two are monthly pre-pay. This gives me cash flowing in all the time pretty much... monthly's every two weeks (prepay due at beginning, and regular due by 15th) and then some every week. It works out nicely :) Love the pre-payers :cool:
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Depends on the type of work really. If we are doing a landscape install job then i get paid before i leave that house. All of my contract houses get billed once a month. But once in a while there is always a person that sneaks out of the house and leaves right before you finish and you have to wait for your money.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got 2 small business's that pay me at the time of service, but every one else is on monthy billing. It would add too much time to my route to knock on doors all day.
  7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

bobby you know who the late payers are... then adjust their price to reflect the additional cost to you of doing business with them.

Remember, a customer who doesn't pay his bills is not a customer but a thief. I liked this when I heard it.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

There was a dude on here that demanded payment after cutting in cash. I thought it was hillarious. Why waste all the time knocking on doors and making sure payment is there somehow at time of service. You are wasting more time and effort doing all this for 2 or 3 people that are late. If it is that bad, get rid of them and that solves your hysteria.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mow, but when I bid on lawn applications, I offer 5% pre-pay discount and 5% senior citizen discount. Every single one of my clients pay upfront to get the discounts. Saves me from billing and collecting and the money is earning me interest (although not much these days) before I'm doing the work.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, fert programs are due in full in advance, no if ands or butts. but cutting is monthly. yea, i have some slow ones but one guy in particular really likes to jerk me around, i think ill blow him off, starting , well, when his lawn is 9 feet tall. ill jerk him just like hes jerkin me.