Payment method...monthly, hourly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nicoronel, Jun 23, 2008.

1. nicoronel

nicoronel LawnSite Member

Hi, I`m new in this site, i`been reading a lot, and learning
    I work a little different here, so guys, i want to ask you how you work, do yo subscribe customers monthly, or you charge by hour depending job type? sorry for my English!!!:hammerhead: i´m waiting your answers
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i charge monthly for my regular customers;however,one timers will mostly want a price at which time you should charge time and material.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We charge per cut and bill at the end of each month. For other odd jobs like landscape and mulch and stuff like that we charge per job and not hourly. Actually we do charge hourly but we dont tell the customer that.
  4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

just like pro street camaro we charge per cut and bill end of month.

other work like hedge trimming etc... we do hourly but i tell the customer a total price, i dont give them my hourly price times x amount of hours

mulching i do about $30 per yard to spread and adjust costs for difficult areas i.e. many small beds spread out.

you really have to find out what works for you. youll have a few jobs where in the middle of it youll be like "damn i shouldve charged another 100 bucks" or something, you just have to learn as you go.

and no matter what anyone says about price per cut, that is all dictated by your area, some cities might pull $40 for a lawn while in another you can only get 25-30 per cut of the same size property.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

nobody with any experience charges hourly.time and material is just a bidding tool.
  6. nicoronel

nicoronel LawnSite Member

how i see, there`s a lot of extra things/jobs , not only to cut grass, so, what "promo" do you often make to your customers? For example, i make some discount on monthly payment at winters months.
  7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

if a customer tells a neighbor or someone about the company and they sign for a certain amount of time we offer a free cut or something
  8. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

Not to hijack your thread, but a Diesel Dakota is pretty cool.
    Those aren't available in the U.S. unless one is fabricated.

Best wishes with your business.
    I give estimates based by the minute.
    I have a homeowner's rate and a commercial rate.
    And like was already pointed out; the customer just gets the price, not the explanation of the rate.
  9. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

CHARGING refers to the amount of money you agree will be paid to you in return for your services.
    You BILL a customer either before or after the period that you just mowed.

Here's a generic example, not representitive of any particular geographic region:
    There is a property that you estimate will take 1 hour to finish. You set your rate at $1/minute, so you CHARGE $60 to mow it.
    You might mow the lawn every week, that is 4 times per month, and you decide to BILL the customer after every cut. Every time that you mow the lawn you knock on the door and collect payment.
    However, the customer is way cool and meets you on the way out with payment for the next month. So you think that he is trustworthy and you could save time by not even dealing with him every time you go to his house. You decide you will BILL him every month.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i charge per cut and get paid after every cut if they are home or at the end of the month