Payment through PayPal?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Steve9, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Is there any way to let your customers pay by CC/ Debit using PayPal?
  2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Steve9,

All you have to do is setup a paypal account. Then just have your customers logon to and have them make a payment to your e-mail address
  3. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

DONT DO IT!!! Besides the high fees that will hit you, paypal really got me in some hot water. My friend used to send me money through paypal quashicash and anyway there was some miscommunication but paypal resended all of my quashicash payments back because I had no tracking numbers. The story a lot longer to get into details but I would say do not do it. If the custoemrs files a complaint against you through paypal, your screwed. All of her payments may be reversed. They have my account frozen right now because of non items related payments. I suggest set up a business account through paypal and work from that. It may be better for you and better for security reasons.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a customer ask if I would accept payment this way, the guy couldn't remember to pay his bill each month. I researched it and found that it would be too much hassel, plus there is a fee. just didn't seem worth it to me.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have several that do this. It is a pain and costs a pretty penny over the year but have it set up so that they kick in the fees each month. Just makes you wonder if they could just pay on time that you could soak an extra 5 bucks a month out of them. All in all it is ok but still a pain. If it is a sale for someone great (just make sure you charge accordingly) but no way would I do it to keep another.
  6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I use PayPal for a few of my customers and like the services. For me it is cheaper to use PayPal than any other credit card services that I have been able to find. An added bonus with PayPal in my opinion is that you don’t have to handle the credit information and don’t have to worry about the security of holding their credit card info.

I have one client that has set up automatic monthly payments that will be charged to his card and credited to my account once a month for 12 months. This works out great for the both of us. Neither has to worry about the billing process. I have other clients that choose to visit my website and make a payment there using PayPal’s service. Again it is easy, fast, and secure.

I don’t ask my clients to use this service unless they currently have trouble paying regularly, or if they ask about it. PayPal does have a cost associated and I would prefer my clients to pay with check just to avoid that cost, but when they want to use it – it is a cost that I am willing to absorb. You just have to increase the cost of mowing 50 cents the next year.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have serveral customers pay me the same way I've been paying my bills last 3 years ..... online banking .... it's cost me $5 per month .... but I almost save that on stamps alone

Most banks offer online services .... so just suggest to them that they pay this way ..... you get a hard copy check .... they can set it up for 1 time, weekly, monthly what ever
  8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Better read their user agreement & do exactly what it says. I got burned for $53 after some guy apparently used fraudulant funds thru Paypal to buy some weedblock from me on ebay. 32 days after I shipped it Paypal took the $53 out of my account , & said I did not qualify for Seller Protection because I did not have a delivery confirmation #. So I'm out $53 because Paypal did not catch the scam from the start
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of my customers use that, too. The first time a check came in from them, my wife almost threw it out, looked like junkmail.
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -