Payments- Monthly / Bi-monthly / Quarterly??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SW Landscape Maintenance, Feb 18, 2008.

1. SW Landscape Maintenance

SW Landscape Maintenance LawnSite Member

Iv'e got mostly residential full time customers signed on a service agreement ( contract) with 12 equal payments over 12 months. Half pay on the 1st and the other half pay on the 15th of each month. So every two weeks I make a deposit.

I was once told by another lawn care owner that the less invoices a customer receives the better and he has all his full time clients pay quarterly. Just wondering what everyone else does and why.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Quarterly would be fine if it was paid in advance. There is no way I would go quarterly billing after the service. I had a hard enough time collecting on one month after the service.

3. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

I agree w/procut. If its in advance that's fine. Think about the customers that might not pay until the end of the quarter, you're 90 days out on supporting their lawn care needs. Then think about the ocassional customers who would decide not to pay at all and you not even realize it til you're 120 days out.
    Bill early and bill often.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Monthly, but I charge by the week because some Months have 5 days in them.

5. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I've even heard of months having 30 days in them! Crazy! :clapping:

6. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

I bill residential customers monthly as the services are provided. commercial i bill using payments over 12 months, this way i have good cash flow and money in the winter months.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Well allow me to explain so all ya'all in Kansas will understand my point.

7 days in 1 week
    4 weeks in 1 month
    28 days, so if a month has 31 days, some do, that leaves 3 extra days.

So why should I work free for 3 days?

Hope that helps

8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

This year residential customers have two options with me
    Pay when Im on the property or
    Invoice the end of the month due by the 15th
    I do have one commercial property that wanted to go to twelve month billing Ill see how it goes with this one this year and MAY expand it to other commercial properties next year

Last year I had a however the customer wanted to do it (first year full time)
    Hard to keep up with 5 different billing cycles wont happen again

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

you said some months have 5 days in them, I think you meant 5 weeks, so he was just playing with your mixup.

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

SW, when you say "full-time" I assume you mean snow work as well? Its a mistake IMO for companies to stretch 7-8 months of mowing into a 12 month payment cycle. Doing that puts the power with the homeowner to not pay you and get away with it easier. I've been debating going with the year-round contract but still have to look into it.