1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PayPal to accept payment???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gslawncare, Feb 7, 2006.

1. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

Payment issues??? Someone informed me about PayPal setting up clients under a merchant/scheduled Debit program. 3% cost, but guaranteed pay? What's to lose?
  2. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I was just talking about this with soemone. I'm interested to the responses
  3. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I also can't type! dang
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I offer this as an option for payment to my customers, along with cash and check.

so far, I've had no problems with it, customers paying on time is another issue but bound to happen.
  5. RB Lawn

RB Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I also was considering Paypal as a payment option, but there is a chance of someone paying with a credit card, and then filing a charge back. They can stop payment thru their credit card company and Paypal will pull the money back from your account :mad: . Alot of the charge back crap I guess is going on thru Ebay, I read about it over there.
  6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the payments all averaged out over the course of a year; you can have the customer set up a subscription to your service and it is automatically paid every monthpayup
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I offer it but no one has used it. Everybody seems to prefer check.
  8. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I personally just hate writing checks. I'd much rather swipe it or like a cell phone bill, set up a direct debit.

As long as you get the customer on your side about saving time, the idea should go through.

As an added incentive for us, collecting the money. If you set up an account, either saving or checking(includes a debit card) balances earn interest. somewhere in the vicinity of 3.25 to 4%.

Just from collecting the money and leaving it in your account you make about .25% on your balances.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest going with a company that has a mouth concerning chargebacks. Not to be a pita, but unless there exists compelling reason to do a chargeback, it should never be done without the money recipient's consent (meaning you).

The company processes my credit card transactions will say something when a chargeback comes around, they don't like it and in the past 3 years I have never had this problem.

For this reason, I might suggest looking for someone has a backbone.
    Meanwhile, in 4 years of operation credit card processing has never been used for my lawncare services, as I do not believe it reduces business substantially enough to outweigh the drawbacks.
  10. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

You can invoice automatically via email with paypal. Or let customers set up automatic payments.

If you go this route, make regular withdraws. Paypal has a reputation of freezing all the funds in your account if they get a complaint from one of your customers.