1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Payroll,Payroll, ugghhh Payroll

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eggy, Mar 29, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have looked at all corners of this I do belive and need input on reccomendations, a service or in house or?? Ideas on the price of a payroll service??? Any software for payroll?? Remeber..I am new to payroll any software would need to explain the payroll process pretty well...or maybe a service hmm.....

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Eggy,
    We use Paychex, they are a national service. An acount rep comes to your house, sets you up, then you get a payroll rep who calls you each week for payroll hours. The monthly fee ranges, but our average is only about $30-40 month. They deduct everything necessary, cut us checks, transfer the funds out of our account, and sends in all our taxes (and employees)to the IRS for us all for this $30. We are also provided monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports, as well as W-2's are sent out to our employees. We asked them how they do all of this for a lousy $30. They basically told us that the day they transfer the funds from our account to theirs, they earn a days interest from our funds. Multiply that times 330,000 accounts nationwide, and that's some serious bucks. Plus the payroll fee is tax deductable as a professional fee. Go this route if possible, it lets you sleep at night. If you need a number for them, email me.

Mike

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If your a small co, go with a payroll service. After you get 10 or more employees you may want to start doing it in house.

Geoff

5. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

Quick books also provides this service withj there accounting.

6. eggy

I do belive a service is the way I will go...my payroll is small..very small....the workers comp policy is the min. amount $7500.00 I hope someone will take me on since it is so small.

7. site

site LawnSite Member

Find a part time bookkeeper. Mine is self employed and pays my bills and does payroll plus quarterly taxes all for about $80 a week. She charges about $23/ hour. For that price it can't be beat. Takes the pressure off all things financial, and it gets done right and on time. The last thing I want to do at the end of a long day is fight through some tax bill.

8. eggy

site, 80 a week sound very high.....

9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Eggy -

It sounds like she is doing more than just payroll.. Depending on your area Ahola payroll service is very good as well..

10. eggy

I would hope..haha...I will look into that company, paychex is sounding good so far.