Payroll services ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jcr4au, Dec 14, 2004.

1. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

I am looking at hiring my first employee and have been contacted by a payroll service co. I have QBs Pro 2003 and know this has a payroll option. I guess my question is do I need and would it be worth it to enroll him in a payroll service? Thanks.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i think/thoguht it would be i use one caled "paychecks" i use them for a few reasons the most important being i dont know sh1t bout it i do landscaping not accoutning or payroll they are obviously in the business and have the know how so why not pay them and do it right. in the long run it will/ could save me a whole lot less than if i were to miss a deadline or so on... (they;uncle sam, is strict on having taxes paid on time) secondly i use them b/c i they f' up it aint my butt its theirs they prepare everything then send me fax letting me know all the details ... i transefer that amount into my payroll account upon me agreeing with all of it and they transfer $ out of the account automatically. third i use them cause my vendor there is one hot mamma.!!!

3. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We also use a company "paychex" They handle all state and federal reports. We were doing it internally, but the time it takes compared to the cost made more sense to outsource. Plus they gurantee that it will be done right. Moreover, once our office manager paid let and we got dinged with a $500 pently by the IRS. (one side note, the IRS was very helpful, we explained that we were a young company..blah blah, and they waived the fee)

4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I use complete payroll, available thru QB. The best parts: You can do it over the net, you canprint checks on the 'puter and you can download all your info directly into QB!. I signed up thru costco and get some $ off, but it runs about 20/payroll period. They do the w2s and state filings. I tried paychex and ADP, but you couldnt print chex or submit payroll over the net

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Well worth it I love our payroll company and it is nice not to have to waste our time playing accountant. We call in the hours and they make the checks and hand deliver them to us usually next day. 2 years of them and they have never made a mistake yet. Plus the checks look professional and my guys don’t get their balls busted trying to cash them.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do it myself. Its quite simple, involves the booklet the irs sends you a calculator, and a spreadsheet or payroll booklet to keep track.

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I take care of all the payroll myself for the 2 employees that I have. It is the easiest book keeping thing I have to do. I have everything set up in excel with formulas to calculate all the tax withholdings. Simply plug in their hours worked and everything is calculated for you. The biggest pain I find is going to the bank once a month to make the tax deposit. I am not sure what the payroll service costs but if you have a couple of hours to sit down and figure it out it should take you less that 5 mins per employee to print out his statement and right out the check.