Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BERTPCP, Oct 24, 2006.

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

I am just finishing my second year of owning my own business, and I will need at least one employee next year. My question is do you guys do your own payroll, or have a company do it for you? Are there any programs that you can use to take care of payroll? I want to make everything legit so I want to get some ideas from the bigger guys so that I can do this right and as easy as possible. Thanks!!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

8 guys was $75 a month for me. not worth it to do it myself.

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

I came across a site called Looks easy to use and pretty cheap! has anyone had any experience with this site?
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a bookkeeper who offers payroll service. It should be cheap, plus they will have all of the charts on the deductions etc.

They will also have all of the information ready for you to easily file your quarterly reports.

I have my payroll one week behind to allow the bookkeeper time to prepare the check stubs that I give my employees along with their checks. You might even be able to telephone in the employees hours, and the service will know what deductions to make based on the w4 form.
  5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Yup, I use it and it works great just put time in blanks after data is recieved from all Jobclocks!
  6. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I was looking at a staffing services company with the main reason being access to much better benefit packages for both medical and retirement at much better prices
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I use excel for everything, including payroll. Payroll is so simple. In the withholdings publication they give you the correct equations to use. If you can run a business you can do payroll. I just enter the hours worked and everything else is filled out including a pay stub and all the correct taxes to deposit. All the numbers for the quarterly returns are easily pulled off the sheet as well. All the time is in the setup. After that it is easy. My checks are hand written out so if I had a lot of employees I would start to print them.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

BIG IF!!!:laugh:

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We use QuickBooks Basic Assisted Payroll. It takes minutes to do payroll for 5 employees. I think it's $199 a year plus the QuickBooks Basic software.
  10. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i think you can actually get an excel template from microsoft site that has this information. you will need to enter the withholdding numbers/percentages manually the first time. after that you would just enter the pay and it will do the rest. it has been about 2-3 years since i found this template, but i'm sure it would be available elsewhere also.