Payscale

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tjlco, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, for you FL guys with employee's....what are you paying? I had a discussion/ argument with one of my guys becuse his raise wasn't enough, he's worth more, blah blah blah. Now he is good, would do anything I asked, can trim with the mexicans, talks to customers...the whole bit. I trained him the way I like, he was green when he started 4 years ago. Now he's 22, married to a chick who runs his life and hates me lol. We are a one truck operation, I am almost always on the truck with the exception of a day or 2 per month. He is on salary so he gets 14 weeks off paid. Right now he is at 360 a week, going to 410. The other 2 or 3 guys are hourly. He wants to gross 500 a week, because he could elsewhere. I politely said well I hate to see you go, but I'm not "that company" with 10 trucks crew leaders and all that. By the way, I do a ton of other stuff for him...lunches 2 or 3x a week, helped him out when his truck was broke, lots of other little things as well. Wow long post sorry guys, so how am I doing paywise???

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How does he get 14 weeks off? do you not work in winter? As far as $360 a week, that is $9 an hour if you work 40. I know i never work near 40 in summer. Honestly I think it sucks. What is the take home on that $320? That would probably help him squeak by in a rat infested trailer.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

He probably meant 14 days off.

4. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask yourself, what does this employee bring "totally" to the table? Is he one that can contribute directly to your growth and profitability? I'm talking beyond is technical abilities, does he conduct himself and think like someone who's a business owner? Does he look out for your bottom line?

Technical abilities can be taught and found in the market. Although, hard at times, that person is replaceable. What's harder is finding someone who has a true desire, attitude, ability, knowledge and willingness to maybe someday help you run your company. A real leader and not just for a crew.

How would him leaving, negatively impact your biz? What does that add up to in dollars, now and in the future? Run your numbers and you decide. Can he do anything to generate the extra cash he wants? Also, to give him 500 gross without meeting any goals or criteria should be a no-go, what happens the next time he thinks he's not getting enough?

Btw: In any case, scale back on all the "favors" etc. IMO you may be too close/ involved to be objective. It's probably why you came here to post the original question in the first place.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Tjlco-
    Correct me if I get this wrong. You pay him on salary based on 2080 hours per year. During the season he works more per week but in the winter he gets maybe every other week off? So it all averages out. From the 3 calls I got this week from guys looking for work he might not want to complain too much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Rob's advice as it is solid, bottom line is only you know how much of a asset this guy really is.

If he can really grow the business with you - then he should be worth more, if he is just another yard monkey that does a good job trimming edging - as said that can be taught to a new guy.

I also agree with Rob if you do want to give him the raise. Give him goals - if he achieves them, he proved himself to you that he is worth it, if he does not, he should understand why he is not getting the raise.

One last thing - from the folks that I have talked to in corporate America - this year has been very bad in terms of raises - for example, my neighbor that works for Merck and has for 13 years - his usual 2 to 5 % raise is looking more like 0.5% this year with some of his best production number year to date.
    My wife who works for a insurance company that does only high end real estate - her raise was roughly 5K last year, this year - it worked out to a huge $2 a day increase, just enough to pay the toll one way to work.

As you can see, corporate america is giving out smaller raise this year, why should you be different unless this guy is really all of that. If he is, you know he is and should take care of him.

7. Patriot Services

The guy is being offered a 14% raise, he wants 28%. What job gives that kind of increase for doing the SAME amount and type of work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

rob...I have thought of most of those things, but bottom line is he doesn't want to work for me forever, he wants to go to school and do something..and he should. If he did leave, it would suck, but I could get a guy tomorrow to work for 8 bucks an hour that would do the same things he does, but may not take as good care of my stuff, though when he does break something his attitude is ooops at leat you have money to fix it.

we do take 14 WEEKS off, and he's still paid

Patriot..I feel the same way, I have talked to other area lco's as well I think my offer to him of 410, is fine. Its the benefit of knowing I could hire another guy, send them all to work and stay home forever. I never intend to do that but I could. If he don't like it (its really his wife) he knows where the door is

9. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Pay him more during season and tell him to go on unemployment in the winter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Patriot Services

Problem here in Florida is you still do intermittent work in the winter. Never really shuts down.
    Posted via Mobile Device