1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pazer vs. Lazer CT

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jpb, Apr 29, 2006.

1. jpb

jpb LawnSite Member

Phazer / Lazer CT
    Weight: 610 / 874 (264)
    Deck: 34 & 44 / 48, 52, & 60
    Blades: ?, / 3
    Deck: 5” deep, 4 point-full-floating, 3 anti-scalp, 7/10 gauge side/top / SAME
    Cutting Ht: 1” – 5” / 1.5” – 4.5”
    Engine: 19hp Kawasaki (twin) / 18, 21 or 23hp Vanguard (twin)
    Speed: 0-8mph / 0-7.2mph
    Fuel Cap: 7.7 gal ./ 6 gal.
    Drive System (Phazer): Dual Hydro-Gear ZT2800 Hydrostatic Transaxles w/charge pumps and independent replacable filters. (IZT?)
    Drive System (Lazer CT) Two Hydro-Gear 10cc/rev variable-displacement pumps powering two high-torque Hydro-Gear (Danfoss) wheel motors with 1.25" (3.18 cm) diameter tapered shafts.
    Price: ~5k / ~5k+
    (There are other differences but I’ve included what I consider to be fundamental differences. BTW, Exmark makes this comparison more difficult than it needs to be since the Phazer isn’t included on the rider comparison page. Also, I’m not sure about the CT price range but I do know a local dealer has a new 48” model for 5k).

I’m considering one of these ZTs but I’m a bit confused by the spec/price ratio. Seems like either the Phazer is over-priced or the CT is under-priced. Not sure what to make of this comparison. Thanks.
  2. jpb

jpb LawnSite Member

No one has any input on this...Not even the Exmark host?
  3. Larry1

Larry1 LawnSite Member

Phazer is over priced. Pumps alone prove that. There are defintely better choices than Phazer in that price range unless you want something purposefully small, which appears to be it's niche. Maybe low volumne production on a "specialty tool" is the reason. Makes sense, but I certainly wouldn't buy one over a CT.

Good luck!
  4. jpb

jpb LawnSite Member

Thanks Larry1.
  5. traveler

traveler LawnSite Member

The Phazer is a new product recently introduced early Spring of this year. The ZT-2800 is not the IZT used by similar makes in this category of zero turn riders therefore it warrants not being priced the same. It is spec'd for commercial use and the construction is to commercial standards but also meets ANSI Standards for homeowners. This product appeals to both commercial users and homeowners. It's primary objective was to provide a product that will fit through narrow gates. The 34" model accomplishes this and is 60% more productive then a walk behind. It is a viable alternative to a hydro walk behind and is priced at that level. Compare it to a Hydro Walk Behind and then it makes sense, unless you would rather walk? Your purchase choice should take into consideration how you will want to use the unit.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Big diference.

The Phazer uses the IZT transaxles, which you will find in the Ariens Zoom ZTR and Gravely's smaller units.

That alone compared to the CT version of the lazer is a big price difference because the CT is pump and motor.

Homeowners, small commercial property maintanence, the Phazer would be great. Keep in mind they are only offered in 34 and 44 inch decks, and the Vanguard motors only.

Larger property maintanence and Light commercial duty, the CT is great. And they offer and Ultra Vac for the CT, which they don't for the PHAZER.

Price difference is fully explainable. Especially if you put the units side by side.
  7. traveler

traveler LawnSite Member

Just to clear up some comments on the specs: The Phazer is powered by Kawasaki 19HP V-Twin engine, not Vanguards, whether it is the 34" or the 44". The hydros are not IZT but the new ZT-2800 by Hydro Gear. The big difference here is that the hydros are serviceable where the IZT is basically "cradle to grave", not even close to the dozens of consumer grade ZTR's out there. The models are commercial grade and have the same commercial warranty as the big ZTR's. It comes down to the right equipment for the best application.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

putting the ultravac on the phazer would pretty much defeat its purpose as a narrow small yard and backyard mower
  9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not offered for the phazer. They just recently released it for the CT.