PBI Gordon's Speedzone, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garth, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Considering switching to Speedzone for broadleaf weed control. I know that Weedar 64 is about 48% 2,4D and Speedzone is only around 28% but a friend recommended it to me (Research and Demonstration, University of California, Davis) and said it was a more effective product for the money and was closer to "idiot-proof" than Weedar. So I figured that I would ask for opinions, and before any pest-nazis start up, YES, I HAVE MY QUALIFIED APPLICATOR'S LICENSE, MAINTENANCE GARDENERS PEST CONTROL BUSINESS LICENSE, RESTRICTED MATERIALS PERMIT IN ALL FIVE COUNTIES THAT I DO BUSINESS, AND I CAN SPELL "LICENSE" WITHOUT FOUR M's AND A SILENT Q!!
    Thanks ever so much-Garth
  2. I have sung the praises of SpeedZone in several posts. My only complaint is it's high cost.

It works fast, controls a wide range of weeds, and is sort of low odor.

SpeedZone is labeled for violets but it has a hard time with them.

Best of all, the label allows for Perma-Green spray volumes, and for applications up to 90 degree's.
  3. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I love it........pest nazi's!!!!..........hehehehhaaahahahhaaaaa.....

Oh geeezzzz......that was good. I think I need a beer or something.

Just a thought but have you thought of tank mixing carfentrazone at the low rate with common three way? Pretty much the same thing.

I don't know what your turf type is over there but here the label for SpeedZone Southern (less AI) specifically states not to use it on improved varieties of St. Augustine, such as Bitter Blue or Floratam. Just so happens that those are the predominate varieties used here.

I'm not really helping here so I'll bow out for now.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer using it in cooler weather, as it produces results much faster than say a Trimec 992. It is also good to use when there is a threat of rain, as it is rainfast very quickly.

It also is good when dealing with Centipede, because it is one of the few broadleaf herbicides we can use.

But, outside of those conditions it is simply too costly to use by default.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We like it. The kill is fast, the rate is low, the cost is up ther'e!
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good product but not suppose to use above 85 degrees (ambient) temperature. What are you guys using above 85 degrees?
  7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

My experience with PBI Gordon is they don't keep their word and won't stand behind their product. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you. They got me for thousands. Spotlight and Triplet is by far a better combo than Speedzone or Powerzone. Weeds like clover die with Spotlight and don't recover. Speedzone just makes them sick...kind of like your budget if you use it. Wilbur Ellis' Wil-Power is equally as good. Neal
  8. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great results on clover, ground ivy and spurge with one app. of Speedzone. Wild violets take about two to three visits at 2 week intervals to knock out about 90%. I then treat as needed with regularly scheduled applications.

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

We are currently using Trimec 992 and Weedar 64 for broadleaf control. Carfentrazone, the active ingredient in Quicksilver Herbicide is an option I had not thought of. It was registered recently in California by FMC Corporation but all their previous products were not for sale or use in this state with the exception of rice and sorghum(*sp?) commodity production. I appreciate the suggestion Sniggly.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I will add another vote for Speedzone. I have had no problems with it and it has saved me money even though it is more expensive. I got caught 2 years ago after spraying about 2 acres. An unexpected or forcasted thunderstorm blew up about 3 hours after I sprayed. I returned a week later to see if I had to respray and there was total weed kill thruout the property.

Take it as one more opinion but I am sticking with it.