PBI - Q4 - any good? THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Jan 25, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Interested in trying this product - anyone try it? Know if it is worth the cost?

I would like to use it - I have a tough time with crabgrass on occasions. From reading the info - 1 pass with one liquid product. No extra mixing, etc??

Currently I run broadleaf, fert with deminsion in it. I also pre-mix some drive. Maybe more costly but I have reduced the call backs by 90% by running with this rate in the spring.
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I think Q4 is an awesome summer spot spray product. It is basically Surge with Drive added so one hand can or back pack will take care of weeds, sedges, and annual grasses. There is nothing else like it unless you mix it your self. It is costly and probably overkill for blanket apps. I love it for new guys that are trying to figure out what to spray something with, with Q4 you don't have to know what exactly it is that you are spraying. most likely it will work.
  3. meets1

So no one has used this yet? No other info either from you guys?
  4. meets1

Thats the thing - mostly it will work! Not new to this at all - but always looking for ways to improve - be faster, have better end results. I use the PG machine - broadleaf control always in, granular fert. But in the spring in my area it is crunch time with all our apps., spring cleaning, spring rains, etc to cover everything in one pass. We no more and finish 1st app - werestarting 2nd app. Last year we had plenty of time but that is not always the case. Crabgrass is just so plentifull here that if I don't get a good coverage on round 1 - hard to catch up after that. The reason I was wondering about Q4.
  5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I used it last year and had great results. I sprayed crabs, foxtail, wild violets, etc and had great results with all of them.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used up an 8 ounce free sample from my fert dealer. I used it mainly for crabgrass, but of course it killed most other weeds also. An ill-informed neighbor roto tilled his yard in June and reseeded between road and sidewalk. It came up, looked fine for about a week then crabgrass took over--solid--near 100 percent --no good grass visible.
    --In mid July, I treated a 6 foot wide 6 foot long strip using one gal hand sprayer. Killed the crabgrass in about 4 days--totally brown. Q4 also worked well on a couple other spots.
    ---I am not sure if it is worth the cost as the rate is rather high--I think it is about 3 to 4 ounces per 1000 sqft. Cost I think, is about 90 cents per ounce. I would rather spray crabgrass with one sprayer and weeds with another. I am not sure how this compares to Drive by itself.
    ---one thing I liked a lot was that Q4 doesn't settle out. Drive in a hand sprayer settles out quick and it is very difficult to get it back in suspension if you leave it overnight.
  7. meets1

Suspension - I have this issue and while I like Drive & its results, I need to use everything I have mixed for the day or else.
  8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the fact this product is more mixable, but... 90 cents per ounce is $115.00/gallon and at a 3 ounce rate that's a gallon/acre. I was getting Drive for something like $80.00/lb. and if you add broadleaf at $10.00/acre, that's $25.00 per acre for the "convenience." I think I'll just keep using Drive until the price comes down, although I'm sure there's a place for it.
  9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

10. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Used 4 gallon of Q4 of the 5 we bought @$87.00 gallon and had good results with nutsedge,large crab,and fair on ground ivy,Used mostly on spring seeded lawns where we did not use siduron. Interested to try as yellow nutsedge was a problem in late June and did not want to mix Drive with Basagran. Applied most of it at 65 gpa with lesco gun but what was applied with PG also worked fine.Also used Drive @$73.33 lb for strictly crab escapes over our 18-3-7 w/ dimension.Best overall broadleaf control on our church properties was with Millennium Ultra II and still had 40 gallon of regular M Ultra with a residential label that out performed everything else we looked at as usual.We will use Q4 again where nutsedge is in the mix ortherwise will stay with Drive and apply via Lesco gun with MSO and 65 gpa.