PCV melted

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Dec 29, 2007.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I had an extra Sta-Rite 1HP shallow well pump laying around and since the pump went out on my hot-tub, I decided to mount it outside the room with a new heater. After running it for almost 3 days - cooling down to around 95 and heating up to near 104 for several hours, the pipes melted. I think it might have been mostly from the heat of the motor and the wooden enclosure.

PICT0669.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The water coming out of a pump is rather warm, but its usually not warm enough to melt it.

However, if you had your pump deadheaded and not moving any water, then it will quickly boil it.

We always ran galvanized directly out of the pump for about 1' and then went to a PVC rusco screen.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

was the pump pushing enough water? we've had pumps melt pipe before when oh lets say a homeowner put time on a station that doesn't exsist... pump comes on starts pumping, water doesn't go anywhere pipe heats up and boom, no more threads at the pipe, just melts them. we now of course always use about 12" of galv coming out of the pump

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Usualy with a system on a pump you will want to hook a jump wire from any unused zones to an existing zone to prevent that from happening. Especialy on systems with Raindial controllers as raindials reset to 10 min a zone all zones after a power outage.

5. BrandonV

most of our homeowners w/ pumps don't even know where the controller is, so it only been a problem on 1 property

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Was CSR using the hot tub?:laugh:

7. BrandonV

don't know I called him yesterday to offer use of the flat screen for the fooseball game, but haven't heard from him... I'm afraid he might have been attacked by a cougar

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Male or female?

9. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

Its a hot tub so there are no 'zones'. I'm going to try it again, this time I'm going to make sure the pump runs for a while after the heat shuts off. Also I'm going to either loose the box over the pump or use a fan. I'm also going to try letting it cool down after each time I get it up to around 105 F. BTW, in my title I misspelled PVC.

Dan

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

wait, your pumping hot water...

Ever bothered to read what is written on the side of PVC pipe...use CPVC.