PDA Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by two_planks, Jul 20, 2004.

1. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I've decide to get a PDA and wanted to ask you guys a question. I would like to be able to print invoices and estimates directly off of my PDA through a printer that I will install in my truck. Any body know wich devices and or software would allow me to do this? The printer I will most likely use is an HP 1210.

2. two_planks

Amazing how that works.... nobody tells you what to do so you go and figure it out on your own. Educational experience to say the least. If you work at a major electronics store though I have one thing to say to you after today...

I think I'm going to go with:

Palm Tungsten T2 w/ bluetooth- $269 CAD
    HP 450cxi w/ bluetooth and battery- $450 CAD

Bluetooth allows wireless printing from up to 30' away direct from the PDA to the printer with no pc or print server in between. I think it will be pretty damn sweet to be able to print nice professional invoices and estimates on the spot as well as do all my expense tracking, scheduling and contact management from my little PDA.

Gopher:
    Any chance you have a palm o/s version of gopher software available or in the works? That would be the next very cool step.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Two_planks,

Yes that is something we are working on now. :) It will be for palm.

4. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

I use a Dell Axim. Nice unit and a good price. Wireless connection to my network and printers. Use Word and Excel as well as Outlook.

I like the handheld pc because it connects and works well Windows XP.

5. two_planks

Sweet let us know when its available.

Thats one I looked at. I know I guy who works for Garmin specifically with their hpc's though and he told me to go the ppc route because there is more and better software available. Plus I'm getting a screaming deal on the T2 ($269 Canadian). The Dell is a very nice unit though.

6. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

Dang it Gopher why do you have to do for palm? :)

I have an Ipaq, absolutely love it. I have some excel formulas that I use for timecards all set up so I don't have to calculate pay, shows the employees exactly where they are at any given time.