Pda

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by btbej, Jan 5, 2004.

1. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

I used the pda in my last sales job and would not think about being without it in this business. The key is having the right software which for me is ACT. Great customer database and keeps track of my sales opportunites etc.

I think in this business sales and customer service is the key and if someone calls me in the middle of mowing I like to pull the pda out and log the conversation into my program.

2. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds interesting. Right now Im using my laptop but really hate the hassle of it all. If I can quit eating and scratching my belly long enough I will have to go check them out.

3. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Hey Lawndoctorllc, I was wondering how you like the Lawn Doctor franchise? I was looking at there info a couple of months back. Do you have any info you could share?

Thanks
    Archie

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I thought they were a useless waste of money, till i got one. in a matter of secs i can look up when a customer paid last. The file is syncronized with my computer daily, so its always up to date. It was worth every penny

5. ArchiesLawns

from Alabama

Scott, what brand did you get? And how easy is it to download from your computer? Any other tips or info?

Thanks

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 5455, the 5555 replaced it this year. I keep my customer payments and addresses in databases in ms works on the computer. at night i put the pda on the charger that is hooked to the computer for syncronizing, and whatever changes were made during the day (checks that were put in the computer during the day, or new customer addresses) are changed in the pda. It takes about 20 seconds to do this. It helps out greatly in many ways. If i have a note to write i can use the voice recorder, write it on the screen, or type it in. It has handwriting recognition, so if you dont write too badly, you can convert your handwriting to text.

7. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Im not a franchise. I am simply an LLC dba "Lawn Doctor". Legally registered in the states of Mississippi and Alabama. I get asked this question all the time, lol, maybe I will put the above statement in my signature.
    IMHO I dont see the value in the extra expense you will pay to buy into a franchise operation such as "lawn doctor" or "u s lawn". (In case you were wondering as to my thoughts on the matter) LOL

8. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I use a pocket computer. It's great I have a singal locator and know were there are singles at certain hotels when out working and want to check the radar for rain or my email just pull in turn on go right in on there network. They never know im there except when they see my trailer in parking lot.

9. ArchiesLawns

from Alabama

Lawnman Scott, Thanks for the input. But, what brand is the 5555? Can you get this one at Best Buy? So you know about how much the new ones are running? I have seen some in the past that has the voice recorder, but I haven't seen any of the ones that will take your handwriting and convert it over. Very interesting! Any more info would be appreciated.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm on my third one...when I broke the last one, I was lost without it. This one has a metal flip cover and fits nicely in my back pocket.SONY Clie peg model

I keep job lists, equipment service reminders, material costs, many phone numbers, follow ups, schedules etc...At least once a day I think of something I need to rememer to do relative to the business, or equipment or whatever. I just pop it out, make the notation and back in my pocket.

It is like having an office assistatnt riding with you everyday. I just use the standard Palm software that came with it. I will never be without one of these (am I am no lover of techy gadgets....but this thing keeps me very organized)

I back it up on a memoery stick once a week and also synch it up to the pc once a week. This one was $300 but you can get them for $100 and it will do most things people use them for.

I rank it up there along with my Mantis with the Honda...small cost but large efficiency