Pea Gravel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PrecisionOutdoor, Dec 6, 2004.

1. PrecisionOutdoor

PrecisionOutdoor LawnSite Member

We installed some steps and walkways for a customer this summer. The steps were filled with pea gravel and flagstone laid on top of that. The customer is now unhappy about the looseness of the pea gravel. I was thinking about spreading some sand on the pea gravel to help hold it in place but I am not sure if this would work. Has anybody had any experience with this?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

try this maybe dig most of the pea gravel out. Put in crushed lime stone (fines) the stuff is almost like dust. Put a layer of that down wet it then pack with a hand tamp or compactor if you can just my thought. Just not sure how many you have to do and how good of an axcess point you have. Good Luck.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Sand will not help. Add sand, and all you will have is a mix of sand and pea gravel moving around.

4. PrecisionOutdoor

PrecisionOutdoor LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I should have been a little clearer Drew. The customer likes the look of the pea gravel, they are just tired of having to clean it off the flag stones.
    I was hoping that the sand would work down in to the pea gravel and lock everything together but I guess not.

steps.JPG

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

ok I see now sorry about that. Try pave tech they have all kinds of additives that can dare I say this but pretty much glue the stones to each other. Or they could spend some coin and use nature stone that would work out there but man it would cost big dollars. Try some paver distributors they have all kinds of chemicals that bond sand and small stones together. Good luck with that mess I would talk them in to something other that pea gravel if you can.