Peachtree Accounting 2003

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mack, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

My question is there anyone out there that uses Peachtree software. I did a search and did not fine much info on it. I was in the store today and they had this for $164.00 with a $164.00 mail in rebate, so it was free except tax plus I can write if off on my business. Just wanted to know if anyone uses it and if they like it.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

The software is ok. If you need outside help, it will be easier to get if you are using Quickbooks. More people use Quickbooks, thus more help available.

By the way, if you buy something and then get a rebate, technically you have no cost, thus no tax deduction, or take a tax deduction and include the rebate in income.

(If, of course you want to do it right):

3. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

Hey Bruce What do you mean by outside help?

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

bruce means that if you ask a ? here about Peachtree and someone else asked a ? at the same time about Quickbooks, the other guy would likely have 10 answers for each one you got. So many more use Quicken programs, you have a better chance of getting advice if you need it.

Quicken's programs are much more popular; not necessarily better. Peachtree has been around longer, but they held their prices too high when many small businesses started to computerize, and Quicken took off as the leader.

5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Groundskeepers is right, you will find most accountants / cpas / bookkeepers have someone in their office who is familiar with Quickbooks, much more likely than Peachtree.

Again, Peachtree is not a bad program, it is just a matter of market penetration and overall popularity of the product.

Quickbooks has the lions share of the small business market.

6. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Have used Peachtree for a long time, cannot recommend it. We continue using only because of timing and circumstances. It is largely inventory driven. Others have stated the problems, timely support, user friendly issues, costs and others. We will make the switch (someday) when the time is right. Go with Quickbooks, you will be satisfied. With Regards... devildog

7. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

THe company i work for used to use quickbooks. it was an older version. we switched to Ptree.

THe reason we switched was largely due to it inventory handling capabilities. And, at this point, I'm not familiar with the current versions of quickbooks.

Ptree has been working well for us. At the time we switched, 3-1/2 years ago, it was the best program I could find in terms of handling inventory(at reasonable prices).

Overall, we have been happy with it.

PS I hadn't noticed any posts with Ptree questions here.

Have a good day Scott H

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Groundskeepers is right, you will find most accountants / cpas / bookkeepers have someone in their office who is familiar with Quickbooks, much more likely than Peachtree.

I have not found that to be the case, and neither of the CPAs I've known liked Quickbooks. I've been using Peachtree First Accounting for about 5 years with no problems. It's very easy to use, was not expensive ($80 or so at OfficeMax), and follows all GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) which QB does not do.(or didn't at the time I was software shopping) My wife is also my accountant, so it isn't like I got much of a choice.

BTW, if you use CLIP, they have a module that will connect QB. As far as I know, they do not offer one for PT.

9. KenGreenPro

KenGreenPro LawnSite Member

I have used both, more Peachtree than QB and from my experience with PT it is a decent accounting package. As mentioned before it is user friendly but the support package can be a little on the pricey side. of course the major down to it is that it cannot communicate with a scheduling package like clip. Which means you will spend alot of time making repetitive journal entries with data collected from clip or LM or whatever scheduling package you use...if it were me and it will soon be me, I am going with a package that communicates with clip.....Quickbooks looks to be the one..i dont have alot of time for journal entries these days.............time is money.

take care
    Ken

10. gvlawncare

gvlawncare LawnSite Member

I cannot comment on PT, however I will tell you last year i switches from QuickBooks, to GroundsKeeper Pro. Quick books is nice in the fact that it works with you checking account, automatically transferring from account to account. With GroundsKeeper Pro, it is set up for use only by lawncare companies. It handles customer infor very well, draws up service contracts easily, and has a feature to record pesticide info etc etc. It costs a little more the PT and QB, but at about $375, I am positive it is one of the best investments I have made as far as office expenses.