Peak growing season!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blalawn, May 17, 2006.

1. blalawn

blalawn LawnSite Member
    from Indy

With many mowing accounts, are you able to cut on a five day schedule(because of rapid growth) or do you stay on a once a week schedule?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

The month of May brings a 4-7 days cutting schedule. But last week we were not able to do the extra route because of the rain. So this week we will be doing two extra routes. The ones I did on Mon, and Tues will be cut on Fri and Sat.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My schedule is lawn-dependent, I cut each lawn on a schedule that is dictated by how much the grass actually grows, and if it's not tall enough when I get out there, I don't cut it.

Mine are currently on 8-10 for fert'd and sprinklered, 10-12 for natural irrigation but fert'd, and 12-14 for Class-c average lawns (natural irrigation, no fert).

Why anyone would run out every time the grass has grown 1/4 or 1/2 an inch, but the customers that would pay for this must be either crazy or ignorant. I prefer my lawns to give the Wb some WORK, not quite clumping but enough to where, since I'm criss-crossing anyhow, it doesn't hurt anything to let it grow a little longer because a double-cut is standard while things aren't ultra-busy.

So, even thou I charge as much or more than the average Lco, customers are actually better off with me in the long run if they wish to save money, I don't gouge them with 5-day schedules, that's the most outrageuous thing I've ever heard. Only once in 4+ years have I seen a yard that really required that, the guy had fertilized it REAL heavy, he took a big risk of burning his lawn in the process and got lucky... Still, that's just crazy, a standard fertilization for an 8-day schedule looks just as nice and costs less in fert and cut fees.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i maintain the once per week schedule, but i will be sudjexting the every 5 days for the ones with sprinklers. i did a multi acre account with foor tall grass on a steep hill and a huge 3 acre field and it was just cut last week! I started to notice little strips of grass the wasn't fully cut, i assume i hit a rock that was sticking up, but i won't know until i take the deck off tomorrow.