Pear trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Dec 1, 2004.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got a call a few hours ago from a customers brother. He says hes got 3 down pear trees all about 17 years old. 2 are in the wide open one leaning against the house. I know its a bad question to ask but about how much to charge. I havn't seen it yet but thinking around $900 depending on how much hauling is involved. All this wil be done with a nice size stihl chainsaw and a 5x13 trailer.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

NEVER quote a price until you see the job.
    your trailer is pretty small for this sort of job.
    i would rent a chipper to reduce the volume of material you'll have to hual off.

this will reduce trips

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I cut 29 of them down about that age in a condo complex last week. You can figure about 4 cu yds of chips per tree plus the trunk and stump grindings. It goes real fast and the are easy to pull in the direction you want it to go.

4. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I had to have one cut about a month ago and didn't want to fool with the hassle of cleaning up all the chips so I paid to have it done. The tree was about 12 years old, about 35 foot high and had a stump about 16 inches in diameter. They charged me $200 to cut it, clean up the brush and grind the stump. I couldn't even rent the equipment to do it myself for that. Now for the interesting part. They cut the hole tree down at the ground and used a bobcat to load the trunk end up on the chipper and pushed it through the chipper with the bobcat, the whole tree! They never cut off any limbs or anything. They were gone in 45 minutes! I couldn't believe that they had chippers that would chip that big. Best $200 I ever spent.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats impresive. I'm going to have to look into these chippers.

6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Is pear one of the fruit trees that produces real good BBQ-ing wood? I know my dad jumps at any chance he has to find peach or pecan wood for BBQ-ing.

Then again, maybe BBQ-ing is something only people in TX really know how to do. If it comes from the store, fully cooked and wrapped in a pretty foil wrapper, and all you do is pop it in the microwave and toss it on the table.. it's not really BBQ.