1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pearless Transmission trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by banjoman, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the top sheave has a set screw, it will be fine. As for the taper lock, you should have a space between the sheave and the hub. If you over tighten it, it's trash. Didn't it come with a torque spec?
  2. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

I looked in my box and it did not come with any torque specs. The transmission pulley has a set screw, I knocked it all the way to the top of the shaft and tightened the screw up. The way the blade pulley works is a bad design to me, I don't understand why they cant make the pulley in one piece. The bolts that came with the hub were cheap, I broke one while tightening the hub down the first time. I had it positioned wrong, so I had to beat the pulley off the hub to re-position it. I had to beat the crap out of the hub to get it back on the shaft and I think I might of bent one side of the hub a little bit. I hit them both quite a bit, but I don't think they are damaged beyond use. There are no cracks anywhere. Does that look like the correct position on the shaft for the blade pulley in the picture on my previous post?
  3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

From a design aspect, they are pure genius. They NEVER loosen if installed correctly. The other 2 holes in the hub are for hub removal. You most likely overtightened the bolt, thus breaking them. Placement of the pulleys has to do with belt alignment. Do a little research on taper loc hubs and sheaves. Browning QD series. You will run into them again.