Pease explain stripping kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 19, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

If most mowers can already stripe what is the kit for? What is in these kits and were can you buy them?

Thanks

2. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

Striping is spelled "striping" not stripping.

3. Smartgene

Or are you guys actually calling it stripping. Perhaps you are - my bad. I'd like to know about the "kit too - striping or stripping. lol

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

"Pease explain stripping kit "

And please is spelled with an "L". Sorry If my late night spelling wasn't up to your standards. Did you win many spelling B's as a child?

Maybe you should change you name to Smart*ssgene

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

6. fatjack

fatjack LawnSite Member

Hey, I just checked the York Sheet Metal site and they make no mention of their striping roller. What happened??

7. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

8. Smartgene

Allrighty there Jimbo - did not mean any offense. I apologize if I did so.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yorksheet no longer sells the striping striping kit known as the "EZ Striper". They still manufacture them I believe, but have since sold the rights to Exmark. If you want the striper, you can go through Exmark and purchase it, but I don't know how much they are now getting for them. York is also the designer and maker of the OCDC for the Lazers. I hope this helps. Personally, if I were going to do it all over again, I would make one that hangs off of the back of the machine like Eric's. THIS is the best setup for a few different reasons. Alot less expensive, too.;)

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey Runner, what makes chains better than a roller? With a roller you get a lot better cut and I think a better stripe in alot of my cases too. With a roller, going around a tree that's kinda "hilled" doesn't make the right side (discharge side) cut deeper into the grass as bad so you don't have a weird looking circle around the tree after you drive your mower around it, lot better cut overall. Don't see advantage of chains over roller, please explain.
    Jimbo -
    A striping kit bends over the blades of grass to accent the colors better (we already discussed how this works this a few days ago if I remember right?)
    Striping kits are either full width deck rollers (best in my opinion), chain kits that drag on the grass (second best in my opinion), or a rubber flap on the back edge of the deck, usually made of conveyor belt. Never seen one of these perform but I imagine that on my yards it won't be as good as a roller or chain. If a chain for any reason breaks or becomes dislodged, you don't wanna back up over it with the blades engaged, thats for sure!
    Chains may be easier for trailering, but I'll stick to my rollers. They seem easier for me to make too. I don't put bearings on them like York, but they roller good and stripe good and will last forever just the same. On a high speed ZTR I might want bearings though but for my riding mowers (slower and use a steering wheel) I don't need them. I can make a roller for a 32" mower for about $5. Here's a picture of one of my rollers I made for my 32" mower.
    Eric

roller1.jpg