pease help ID this grassy weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tdf, Nov 28, 2005.

1. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I think it may be ryegrass or quackgrass. Any help would be great.

Thanks TF:help:

grassy weed.JPG

2. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I live in NC and we have already had a couple of frost. I seeded this lawn this fall and about 3 weeks after the fescue came up, this grass started to come up. It is a lighter green than the fescue. I used John Deere Select. I wonder if this seed was in the bag of fescue.

Thanks, TF

3. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

this another pic

weed 004.jpg

4. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

this is a better shot

grassy weed 3.JPG

5. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

man you ever cut your nails dirty s.o.b.'s ewwww! that there is sass a frass!!! just hav'n fun

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

kinda looks like Orchard Grass

white(ish) stem at the base and flat

thats my guess

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'd say orchard grass. Take some to your ag. extension people. Your tax dollars hard at work.

8. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

Sorry about the dirty nail, I just dug about 5 samples out of the ground with my hands. I took the sample to the ext service today and they said it was rye. Thanks

9. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

LOL!!!!! WOW! You seriously need to NOT GO THERE AGAIN! Who ever works there should be smacked for even answering your question! If thats RYE grass... then I"ll give all my mowers away for free + smoke a fatty of old grass clippings!

THAT MY FRIEND IS EITHER,,,, QUACKGRASS, BARNYARD, or "orchard." I'll lean towards quackgrass. Like you said, "WHAT GRASSY WEED IS THIS?" Actually, listen to what the ****** said and fertilize it and make that rye grass into a super lawn!
    Sorry for being so blunt, but pleassssssseeeee for like life of your business or whatever you do... DO NOT GO THERE AGAIN FOR ANY IDENTIFICATION OF ANYTHING! Unless you find a dog and wana know if its a male or female!

10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

HMMM, could be an annual rye...or a non-turf type of rye

since we are just looking at a picture and his extension agent saw it in person......got to give the guy (gal) the benefit of the doubt?