1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peat Moss from spreader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Apr 17, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys that use peat moss spread it from a broadcast spreader or do you apply it by hand after you overseed?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

There is supposed to be a broadcast spreader called a squirrel cage spreader for distributing the peat but I have not been able to find one yet.

Just a figment of my imagination at this point. I have read about them, and heard about them from some guys in KY but have not been able to get my hands onto one yet so its all hand work for us. :(

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Dumb question i know but, what is peat moss for again? I just cant remember off of the top of my head. Sorry.
  4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Kut, I rented one of those spreaders a long time ago [in Bellingham as a matter of fact, AC] and I wouldn't call it a 'broadcast' spreader. The way it works is it's a drum with solid ends with an axle on each end attached to a handle. The rounded drum portion is made of lightweight expanded metal grid which has a hinged door area in it. The peat is placed inside the drum which is then pushed across the desired spread area and as the peat is broken up it kind of sifts out through the grid onto the ground. I don't remember it as being a really good or useful tool.

AC, Peat moss is used to hold moisture on newly seeded areas. I had a bunch of bare spots from mole holes which I flattened and then aerated over, seeded, fertilized and then spread some peat moss on them. It can also be added to soil to loosen it up and help it hold more moisture. If I had a larger area to seed, I'd just go ahead and use a slit seeder or as I did last fall on a couple of acres, use the farm equipment which rolls and mulches the seed to give it good ground contact for better germination. Will