1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peco Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brian mon, Jan 7, 2003.

1. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Anyone ever try this....? I'm thinking of getting a peco vac for a 54'' mower....and was wondering if something could be rigged up to blow clippings/leaves etc. into my dump truck from the peco? Dump everything by truck....when your done disconnect hose's on mower and connect to hose on truck with extra hose to suck up pile and blow pile into truck....kind of a poor man's leaf loader. I'm not real familiar w/Pico, have heard and seen some good things here though, any comments on Pecos and on this thought would be appreciated.
    I know a real leaf loader would work much better but I can't afford it right now....

Thanks all
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I have a Peco vacuum with a 5.5 hp Briggs mounted on my grasshopper m225. After some modifications, it works pretty good. I have a problem with keeping debris out of the air intake and cooling intake but I am building a shield to remedy this.

Your idea of using it as a truck loader seems like a good idea. Yeah, it doesn't have much power but would work for small to medium sized jobs. You would need some sort of quick disconnect to hook the exit tube to the truck. Too bad you can't back your mower into the dump truck. Maybe you could make some ramps from your trailer to your truck. I've heard of some people doing this. Depends on what kind of gate you have and how high the bed sits
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't recommend using this vac as a truck loader. To minimize debris to pick up from turf, place small tarp (6X8) in street w/ 2 60 gal. carry barrels on top of tarp side by side. Back vack up to tarp and dump in cans. Cans can be easily lifted usually by 1 man (perhaps 2 if very heavy/wet), and debris on tarp will be light. This works best when mower is up on curb or slightly elevated to allow door on Peco to open over the tall 60 gal. cans. Good luck.

4. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

SDlawndawg.....I've thought about the trailer to truck ramp, thats my next option. What do you mean "it doesn't have much power but would work for small to medium size jobs" I mostly have commercial jobs and am trying to decide which will be more efficient, sucking up a pile of grass or backing up the trailer to truck....and for unhooking tubeing isn't it just 2 hose clamps?

Turfdude.....dumping into barrels is something I had not considered....now that might be a cheap easy fix, although I'm trying to keep a solo operation right now....just don't fill barrels too full......

Thanks for the quick replies
  5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I think yall need too look at the CYCLONE RAKE, you can convert it int o a truck loader and it seems to (acording to the video) cary alot more than a PECO VAC......Just my 2 cents worth
  6. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Simply backing your mower up the trailer, onto the ramps and into the truck seems quicker than using a leaf loader. The only time you have to get off the mower is to push the pile of debris back so you can fit more depending on the size of your truck. What kind of dump-truck do you have anyway?

The peco vac would work as a leaf loader but it simply doesn't have the h.p. like a 12hp or larger leaf vac. I think the clamps for the tubes would be a little annoying after a while so that's why I recomended a quick-release of some sort.
  7. I did that right before I bought a loader vac.

It is sloow, but does work.

It may be faster to use Turfdudes idea.