peculiar customers......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jul 18, 2006.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have been mowing for an elderly gent for several years now.

it is the same situation everytimg I mow there.

I arrive and the garage door is always down. but by the time I am starting to mow, the garage door goes up.

always...within a few minutes some leaves or clippings have blown into the garage...and he is in there sweeping them out...with a broom and he doesn't look too happy about it. the time I am done trimming and blowing...he is still sweeping because the wind has blown debris in the garage faster than he can sweep it he is still looking unhappy! :nono:

I want to ask the old gent why he doesn't leave the garage door down while I am there but he never complains to me directly about stuff blowing into the garage.

anybody else have peculiar customers? lol!

GEO :waving:
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Geo? Two years and you have never asked him about this?
    He prolly likes to sweep and work.
    Some people just look unhappy all the time. I would suggest you resolve this by simply asking him.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

NO--longer than two years....

the reason I don't ask is he never it is not an issue to me.

he just looks unhappy whereas if the garage door stayed down...problemo solved!

GEO :clapping:
  4. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I have an older gent that does exactly the same thing! Door down 10 minutes into the job door up and he's sweeping away.. I always thought it made him feel useful. Kinda like he was helping out just doing something.. Him being older he can't do much of anything else but sweep... He even gave me a few old gas cans and a craftsman electric trimmer. Asked me if I could use it..;) I told him I'm sure I could find a use for it... Nice guy but a little odd..
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

never question something a person isn't complaining about :)
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you give him motivation to get up and work alittle, just dont worry about it untill he says something ?
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Must have blown clipping underneath his garage door at some point and he doesn't want to bring it up either.
  8. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

He probably likes going out there, like an earlier poster stated . . . Feels useful and maybe you are one of the few connections to the public he has on "HIS TERMS" . . . Can you imagine always being treated like a child by your family & like an idiot by the public . . . .
  9. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have an old fella who likes to break out his old style weed whip and trim while I mow. The first time he did this I told him I would take care of it, but he just waived me off as if to say let me be. His wife later came out and told me he likes to get out and whip and do work when I'm there, that it makes him feel as if he had some part in making the lawn look good, rather than just writing a check. I think alot of elderly men do this, So I just let them.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Until you pop one of them upside the head or eye with a rock.

I got a elderly couple who open their garage when I start weedeating. They don't come outside. I think they do it to let me know they are at home. NOw if they came outside sweeping AND giving me a dirty look................... Dirt does goes in their garage when I am using the blower on a windy day..but they got nothing better to do than sweep lol Although she did come to the door buttoning up her shirt one day;) :eek: