Pedal Power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

yeah that $90 scotts reelmower is going do real well...I'll give him props for trying..

I wish newspapers that do articles like this do a followup in 6 months...just to see what happened...Although by not having fuel, thats one less of an overhead expense....too bad he'll pay more to get his mower sharpened than what it cost to buy...
  3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

rofl idiot.

$25/hr is WAY off. It'll take longer than an hour for his flat rate lawns. Lets not forget he has to edge... doesnt he? Gonna suck trying to do it with a manual edger.

This guy would do more for his community/environment working at McDonalds.
  4. MowHouston

Ah, by the looks of their website. They've already raised their rates to $30. :rolleyes:
  5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to his links page on his website and read the fear mongering about using fuel in gas powered lawn equipment. 800 million gallons a year used and 17,000,000 gallons spilled while refueling. Its all because of the BLITZ can......:hammerhead:

This guy will get to his second week of the growing season and be screaming, why God, why are you doing this to me. I swear I will only use enough gas to cut the lawns I contracted for this growing season and then I will get out of the business....:dizzy:

What a fruit. He has no clue, He must have only cut his own grass for a couple of weeks one time in his life and thought, Oh this will be easy to do everyones like this..... I think I will do this for a living.
  6. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Must not have to be very smart to get that degree. Nothing like going backwards. Does he relize the beating his body will take. I wonder if he has tries mowing a lawn with a reel mower before. What kind of fool would work for him?
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to know what happens to him in 6 months as well, if anyone can find it. Those reel mowers suck. They take a good bit of effort to get them moving, and if its one of those, "well its been about a month since the yard has been cut" well whats he going to do then, get the manual hedge trimmers out and cut it that way. And throw in some 90 degree days in there, ouch, he'll be sore, broke, and stuck with a dull mower thats hard to push and expensive to sharpen.
  8. MowHouston

As his website says:

"My grass is over 6 inches high…can you still help me?
    A reel mower works well on grass less than 6” tall. That’s why we visit your property once per week. If you’ve let your lawn go, it will need an initial pass with a power mower. If on your first visit your lawn is unusually high I will have to rent a gasoline mower to get your lawn back into reel mower shape. I prefer not to do that though because the guys at the rental shop laugh when you put a gas mower on a trailer that has, “zero emissions lawn service” written on the side. An additional charge will apply for renting the gas mower."

Also on another note:

"According to research running a lawn mower for 1 hour is equal to driving a car 100 miles! "

Wonder if that is true, only because I want to know if he's BS-ing.
  9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Having mowed with both a push and a self-propelled reel mower, $30 isn't going to hack it long. About the time that the temp hits the 80's he'll be out of it.
  10. MowHouston

also on his site... lol

"This will be a lot of work….are you more expensive?
    NO! The rates of gas powered competitors are $30.00 - $35.00 per mow. Our basic charge is $30.00 per mow for the average lawn if you live within the normal service area. Although the job will take us more time and work, we will get the joy of experiencing a pleasurable bicycle ride and walk around your beautiful lawn. We would rather be able to enjoy the day as opposed
    to be fighting traffic, filling up at the gas station and breathing in exhaust."