pedals stuck/frozen?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Jan 26, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

anyone have any ideas on this?...i havent used the bobcat in about a week, and its been cold here...i have started it up and let it run at the yard every other day

last night it went down to about 3 degrees...so i got it started no problem, then i tried using the pedals and they are jammed

im assuming they're frozen, any ideas or ways to fix?

2. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

I had that same problem with my dozer last winter. I wheeled my 150,000 btu kerosen heater and a 100' extension cord down to the machine and let it blow on it for about an hour, and the problem was solved. It was about 15 degrees at the time. After you get it unfrozen, hit the linkages and pivots with some wd-40 and you should be good too go.

3. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

My suggestion would be to let it sit! The ground is so frozen now that you really can't do any work anyway. Mine is sitting waiting for 30 degree's!

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There is stuff that is used to de-ice windshields immediately, it works super well too. I cannot remember the name of the stuff for the life of me, but any auto store should have it. I've blasted 1/4 thick sheet of ice off my truck windshield very easily. WD-40 to keep them from freezing would be a good bet, I've used ether as well with good results.

5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray on some Fluid Film to keep them from freezing. Fluid Film also works well in locks, on snow shovels, on headlights to keep snow from sticking, on plow blades and in snow blower chutes to keep them from clogging.

6. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

how would it work on a straw blower?

7. Dano50

I don't have specific information on that application, but the same properties should apply. Fluid Film remains super slick, won't evaporate and will imbed into the pores of the metal. Straw should fly out of that blower.:)

8. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

Yeah my pedals were fozen to and I got them to work but then they were sticking.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

there is also a product available that is slippery it is basicly graphite paint. I used it on on the floor of a dump bed trailer to help material slide out. I first used on IH Cyclo planters (where the drum rotated on the outside of the planter. extremely slippery stuff.

10. Dano50

Hey, Support your sponsors! :hammerhead:

Just kidding, if you think there is a better product feel free to mention it even though I know it's not true. :laugh: