Pedestal method and techo bloc...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am pricing a big step of stairs out of techo quarry stone. I want to you the pedastal method. Is it possible to do it with the quarry stone? I've done it with versa lok but never with quarry. I just want to make sure before i price the job.

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is finding fill block that matches the quarry stone. it is in mm and doesn't match up to ep henry's filler block and techo doesn't make a cheap block to use. i used the creta i think and it worked with terrace wall ok. maybe some one else has used it though. i found it to expensive to use anyway and i don't like 8" steps.

3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Why can't you use some 8" solid concrete blocks you can find at your local masonry supplier ?

4. mrusk

Can't i mix the 8in and the 4in quarry stone and get a 6in step?

I just really want to use the pedastal method for this job. Its a flight of 8 steps. I planned on spliting it into two different pedastals.

5. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

you should get a 7" step with quarry. Quarry 4" + caps 3" = 7"

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way you can build a pedastal out of Quarry stone is to use it as the filler block as well....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Chris

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

8. McKeeLand

standard concrete blocks are not dimensional. they are smaller for the mortar joints so the front face block will be taller than the back block pitching your cap towards the step.

Matt i tried figuring out how to make a 6" step with the 4" and 8" quarry stone. spent like 25min in my truck sketching it out and couldn't figure a way to make it work. maybe you will have better luck but i am pretty sure it can't be done.

9. mrusk

Here is a twist.

What about if i use 1.5 inch thick marble bullnose for the treads?? That brings my stairs to around 6.5 inches each.

10. McKeeLand

the thing with steps using the pedestal method, is that it doesn't matter what size bull nose or cap you use. if you start with a 6" block you will have a 6" rise no matter what you tread is, if its 3" wall cap or 2 2/8" bull nose you will keep the 6". same if your block builds 8" steps.