1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peeling powder coat

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Tick, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Tick

Tick LawnSite Member

I have a Western plow < 1 year old. At the end of the season I noticed in 2 spots the powder coat was bubbling and cracked. I wasn't 100% sure there wasn't damage and some water got behind it so I sanded the spots down and painted. I checked for more spots (weren't any) and put the plow in the garage. I just took it out and noticed more spots where the powder coat is bubbled and peeling. Anyone know what is going on? Is this a warantee item?

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

This was a post I was thinking of making. Powder coat is great except on a plow. The powder coat on my Fisher is stiffer then the metal under it, so when the plow flexs under load the powder coat cracks. Of course we're operating the plow in a pretty severe enviroment, the salt content in the water in parking lots and on the highways is a lot higher then salt water in the ocean, and I've seen the effects of salt water on metal. The salt water gets in the crack and eats away at the plow during the summer, and after a couple of seasons the powder coat will bubble and flake off. I don't think this is a warranty item.
    With all the high tech stuff around I wish the plow manufacturers would come up with a coating that's flexible as well as tough enough to wear well.
    I think it was Dino who mentioned some space age epoxy paint he uses to paint his plows.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Western Unimount,3 yrs old,hardly used at all,it is doing the same thing as yours,it looks terrible.My 7,6 and 4 yr old Fishers look like new yet,still original paint,I messed it up a bit when i put the pro-wings on,but other than that,they are mint.Its a shame the western bubbles up so fast,I dont think there-s much you can do about it,short of blasting the entire thing and repainting it.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Has anybody tried the $50 plastic overlay for the plows you glue/bolt on? Looks intersting, never need paint again, but do they hold up?
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I put one one an old beat up Meyer to try to get a few more storms out of it. We haven't gotten any snow to test it yet. Easy to install & looks like it should perform better than the steel as it was (less snow sticking, I'll bet it rolls & throws the snow better than what was happening). I'm not so sure how long its going to stay on because it just gets glued on. A fellow plower & I were joking that I'd be stacking snow and pull away to see the hunk of plastic sticking to the pile after it peeled off of the plow. We'll see what happens.
  6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Fisher had a recall on 97 model plows for powder coat not sticking. The powder coat would come off in big chuncks. Fisher recalled something like 4000 moldboards and replaced them all with new ones. I actually have been to the place where Fisher had 4000 moldboards cut up and scrapped. It was hard to watch plows being cut up.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut up and scrapped because the paint didn't stick?

That's paramount to buying a new truck when you need an oil change.
  8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

They did fix the paint problems,... they came out with poly plows
  9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yes it is true. The scrapped 4000 plows, because Fisher has a high quality standard. I saw guys with no paint on a plow after 1/2 a winter, the paint came off in huge flakes. I guess they ended the recall in the spring of 2000.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

man, 4000 plows, thats alot of plows to scrap, thats crazy