1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

peeling seal coat

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by kduclos, Mar 26, 2008.

1. kduclos

kduclos LawnSite Member

I run a small seal coat company in Northern Minnesota. I have been working at it for about 9 years. I, as well as many seal coaters up here, have trouble getting sealer to stick to driveways that are in shady areas. Because I live and work in a forested area this is a problem for me and others up here. Does anyone out there have any solutions to this problem? Thanks.
  2. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

What additives are you adding to your sealer? How Much sand are you adding per gallon? if you add sand?

TARGUY LawnSite Member

Make sure the driveway is clean. make sure there is no moss or sap of any kind. might want to add a fast dry or a hardener. and make sure the surfice temps are up.
  4. kduclos

kduclos LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I do use additives. I use "Sealmaster" products and use TopTuff and Zetak with each load. I mix it to the right specs for the loads. I do use sand, but I don't use a lot. I have had problems with it "falling out" and having my power agitator push through it. I do work really hard at getting driveways clean. I just think it is a matter of shade and the sun not being able to cure it properly. Thanks again.