1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peerless 3628_P1 Transmission won't reverse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oldeng, Jun 23, 2008.

1. oldeng

oldeng LawnSite Member

My DR All-Terrain Field and Brush mower will not reverse. It has the Peerless 3628-P1 transmission. The four forward gears work fine, but when the reverse is engaged and the clutch is engaged nothing happens. The machine will not roll when in reverse, like it will in neutral, so I believe there's a problem in the reverse idler setup, like something is broken or locked up. But, the motor doesn't slow down or show any response when I engage the clutch, so who knows. Before I take the transmission apart, I'd like to know where I can get parts, or am I on the wrong track?
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Are you certain the gear selector lever is allowing the transmission to be fully placed into reverse? It sounds like you may not be fully engaged. I have never rebuilt a 3628 transmission, but we run similar units on our walk behinds. You can get a new one for about $200. They are always on Ebay.
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

This # is the case stamp you need the numbers off the little metal tab between the case halves check this other post for the pics.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Call DR direct if you need parts. (800-376-9637). I work as the Service Tech at the New Milford (CT) Factory Store. They will ship them direct to you. Have your serial # handy - it's on the frame under the tranny.

Before you get parts - pull off the cover to the left side of the tranny and see if the chain is hitting itself when it goes around the idlers. If it is, this is what's causing the problem, and there is an update kit to fix it. Let DR know this when you call.
    Also, if this thing has the metal "dead man" handles on it, ask them to update you to the plastic ones. (More comfortable.)

Normally, if there is something wrong inside the case, nothing works right (or just reverse, or one forward gear will work).