peerless 5 speed tranny

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Mar 20, 2000.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

how often do you all change your gear grease in your walk behind mowers gear box i have a 94 exmark viking i have never done this yet the manual says every year is good. to do this job you have to take the whole top off any posters out there that have done this let me know how hard of a job this is also is there a gasket between top and bottem halves.

2. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Does it say to "change" or "add" ?

3. lawnworker

it sais change every year check level every 150 hours . they should of put a access bolt like on a car rear end so you could tell if it was full by just taking a plug out but there is no such thing on these gear boxes so u do have to take the whole top off just to check the level. Might put a tap in it myself .

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is very simple to check/add grease to these trannys. Simply remove the bolts from the top and lift it off. While you are lifting it off make sure you keep a steady downward pressure on the shifter shaft so you don't pull it out of the tranny.

5. lawnworker

Thanks for the reply richard do you know what that allen plug with the spring is for i tried to see if you could add fluid there which you cant. and if it is threaded all the way in the gearbox will not shift right it might be a tensioner of some type must of been locktited to hold it where it was at first i hope i havent screwed my tranny up