1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Peerless 5 Speed Tranny

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Dec 15, 2004.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I debating about tearing apart the transmission from my 36" Scag to see if I can repair 5th gear. The mower lurches forward about 10 ft then sits idle untill you push it a bit, then it lurches agian.

Does anyone have anyexperience in rebuilding a peerless 5 speed tranny? What's the best way to get the bentonite all out of the way to see what the heck im doing? Someone suggested soaking it in gas for about a week but I dont know if I like that idea.

The mower is at least 10 years old and I have no way of knowing how bad the rest of the tranny is. The other option is buying a new Peerless through J-thomas for $185.99

What do you think?

Brian

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

if it's only 5th gear then why you worried you cant mow at that speed I would use it until it stops those tranny are something to deal with.

I took a ragg and wipe the grease out.

3. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

my 3 yr. old Exmark Metro HP did the exact same thing....got a new one from J Thomas....easy fix. As to tearing the old one apart to fix it, it went into the steel pile weeks ago.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me, 5th gear on that thing was never very fast. Definately a "mowable" speed. 4th is a real dog. Just the fact that it's broken would bug the heck out of me. I'm fixing or replacing it, just don't know which yet.

Brian

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotta a Tecumseh Peerless transmission on my Toro wb. It is 4 forward and 1 reverse. Reverse never worked since I got it (used) but the forward gears worked fine. Then it got harder to get into gear and now the right shaft is coming freely in and out.

And now. . .a rant. My Toro dealer quoted me $379 for the transmission plus labor. JThomas has the same unit for $194. Even if the dealer couldn't get it cheaper than me (a nobody) they would be making $185 off me and I don't believe that a dealer is going to pay the same price for a part as its customers, so I know that's not the case. This is one project I'll be doing myself. Just think, $194 vs. $379 plus labor. Whata screwin'! Ya know, I know a dealer should make a fair profit but $185 is just plain unethical. Even if the dealer cost was $194, I'd gladly pay $225 or so to a dealer who is nice and does good work for me. It just bothers me to think that they are taking advantage of unsuspecting people. Actually it p**ses me off that the Toro dealer would take advantage of a customer like that and I don't think I'll be gettin' another Toro because of it. . .plus there's only one Toro dealer around here. . .

Good luck with yours and I think you are doing right by going with JThomas.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Rebuilding the Peerless 5 speed is no big deal. I do highly recommend getting the service manual though. There are parts in the tranny that can be incorrectly installed backwards.

At $200 I would just buy a new tranny and skip the whole ordeal.

7. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Battags,
    I can match that price, If you want to give us a try.
    I just need the numbers off the top of the tranny. Thanks