Peerless Gear Transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sensor419, Sep 20, 2007.

1. riovanna

riovanna LawnSite Member

Do you rebuild peerless transmissions??

Thanks
    Ron

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i do, and they are not hard to do at all. well for me, i went to the fearless of peerless school back in the late 80's and they have not changed much since then. just a gear drive transaxel. i live in east TN. these mountains are hell on those things. main thing is to be sure you have the bronze bushings in the right way. there is a small tit on them and the will only fit one way. try to put them together any other way and the case will break or they will lock up and not move at all.

3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a similar problem with the peerless transmission on my 48" encore, but on mine it only chatters when the mower is coasting not when it is pulling the mower. Is this the same or similar problem? and should I use the same advise of wait it out as stated earlier. Thanks

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have replaced several on our toro belt drives, they are relatively easy to replace if you have the right tools (forklift or engine hoist is a plus because a floorjack gets in the way) As stated above, check to make sure they are greased and bolt tightness is as proper spec.

5. lonestaryards

lonestaryards LawnSite Member

Where can I find a 700-070a trans. for $175? I would like to buy one. Please let me know. lonestar.yards@yahoo.com
    Thanks.

6. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes you get a stack up of tolerences that can cause noises. It could be nothing but any chattering should probably be investigated. It doesn't do you any good to be broke down. If this is a money making piece of equipment for you I'd spend the $175.00 and buy the new tranny. Maybe keep the old one for a back up. $175.00 is a great price and is well below dealer cost.

7. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

Go on Ebay, I think it was Russo Power Equipment that was selling them. They are a big dealer up in that neck of the woods, and I am probably going to buy one for my 36" Scag for a backup. I was looking at them last night.