Peerless jammed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by awdriven, Jul 21, 2006.

1. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I have an older Exmark Metro HP with a Peerless 700 070A transmission that now doesnt want to shift out of neutral.

I pulled the transmission lid and it’s very low on lube. When I try to shift from neutral, the whole output shaft shifts side to side. There is some end play on it, and you can see the drive axles shift slightly.

The gear faces look serviceable, but the shaft area that the collar and keys ride on was dry and had some superficial corrosion.

I haven’t opened one of these before. Should the shift collar be able to move freely side-to-side on the shaft? I assume that as the collar moves, the shift keys are moved by the collar and the keys are what locks a particular gear to the output shaft, thus engaging drive?

Thanks, any advice on how to free the collar and servicing the keys (removing, installing) would be appreciated. I’m trying to decide how much effort to put into working on this before just ordering a replacement box.

2. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

we rarely open up a peerless trans anymore at the shop. By the time you buy the keys, a shaft, brg or gear or so, you usually have $60-100 in parts. Putting it back together, specially the shift keys on the shaft are a big PITA. You can buy these gearboxes for $175-225.00 online or at the dealers with a 90 day warranty. Better than spending $100 and 2 hours of your time for something without a wty. Just my humble opinion.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with Viper on that one:)

4. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have it apart remove as much crud as you can and wipe the shaft down with a cloth and penetrating oil, then use some emery cloth to polish the shaft up and coat it with some ep bearing grease and the slide shifter should work much more smoothly. Did this recently on a 6 speed peerless and refilled it with some gear oil (85w-140 I think it was) .

5. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

Any tips on speedy removal and installation on the trans?

I need to take out the circlips on the axles and then slide them out to each side to disengage them from the trans?

Looks like I can just loosen the idler on the trans belt and remove the trans drive pulley by taking out two allen screws.